A&P Photography crew... v. printers

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wolf Demon, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon HURF DURF OT Supporter

If you were to get your own printer to print high quality pictures in large format, what would you get?

I've been pondering over the possibility of starting up a small printing business:wiggle:

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

my popps has a epson r1900 that prints some nice images. :cool:

3. Wolf Demon

looks pretty :coold:
    That could be something I'd use for smaller prints. I'm also looking for something that could do in the range of 44 inches wide. (the 65 ones are way out of my price range :wtc:)
    Being a college student, I know what it's like to not be able to print something off because all the places in town make you place orders and they wait until the next day. Or the print shop on campus has really crappy hours. I want to do something where people can come to me and print their stuff at a decent price. As well as doing internet orders when I get a site up for it.

I have a friend who shoots photos of events and does senior pictures and stuff and he said right now all he does is give them a CD with a signed paper saying they can print the images however they want. But he said that he'd be interested in setting up a deal with me so that he can offer prints to them for cheaper than what a place like Kinkos would offer.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Hmm. We have a printer here at school that prints 44" wide. It's pretty awesome. They charge like $10 per linear foot up to 44" wide.

So a 12"x44" panoramic = $10 :bowdown:

It will take a LOT of prints for you to make back the price of one of those printers, and all the paper and ink you'll go through. It's NOT cheap, and it isn't small either :rofl:

I'd put a little more thought into whether or not its really worth it.

5. pawis

pawis werd em up

you should look into one of the HP Scitex Turbojets if you want wide format... and fast printing... :hsugh:

6. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I can get the Epson 11880 printer for $13,000 off right now :bowdown:

7. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

8. alexromo

alexromo New Member

9. Dan Martin

Dan Martin OT Supporter

I've got an Epson 4880 for personal use and I love it! It's about as big as you can get and still have a paper tray. The bigger guys in the lineup are single sheet feed or roll feed only. In the rare times I need something bigger than 17" wide, I've got a great lab in Toronto that I use where I can rent a workstation and print direct to the 44" wide printers so I still have control over the final output.

10. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

I'd love to know how many people in OTAP crew have made back their costs on photo gear via shoots/sales and whatnot.

ibnonecausetheykeepbuyinggear

11. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

11880 fucking > *

[​IMG]

Seriously though, you can get the Epson 9880 for a little over $4k right now. That's stupid cheap for a 44" printer.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  12. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I'm a little more than halfway there. By this time next year I'll be in the black.

However, buying a printer was a waste of money for me. It's a good thing I didn't spend more than $500 on printer/ink and paper.

13. mojito

mojito New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

makes per print really cheap

14. Wolf Demon

15. Wolf Demon

It's definitely worth it. One, I'd slowly be making the money back, and two, I won't have to get my own pictures printed off anywhere, I can do it myself.

:cool:

16. dmora

dmora Guest

:eek5:
    :wackit:

17. dmora

dmora Guest

18. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

IMO I see no reason to do your own printing. The cost per print is just to high really compared to just having it done by a lab. I guess if you have no competent labs in your area you could do it to save the hassle of shipping and data uploads.

You could get to a point where you'd be making money, but it would be thousands of prints. Really the only way would be to become a lab for soccer moms:)

If your gonna do it though I'd just do it right and get something like an AGFA Mini lab.

19. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Epson 3800 for smaller prints

20. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

damn son

21. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Girth and Jcolman... None. The hobbyists out there? also none. Some others i'm sure have :hsugh:

22. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

You need to buy some more gear before you hit black. You just can't have that happen.

23. Wolf Demon

Well if I get a 44 inch printer, I figure I can make about $1200 per roll if I charge $6 per square foot (Kinkos is $12). Lots of students on campus need stuff printed all the time, and as I said before (I think anyway) The place with the nice printers on campus doesn't have very good hours. And any other place like Kinkos makes you wait until the next day to have it done and they never guarantee how it will turn out. I'm always around doing homework so printing stuff off while I'm doing that is no problem for me. I'll probably be wanting a smaller printer too (potentially one of the ones posted in here) because I don't want to have to waste paper on the rolls for small pictures. Like if I made deals with people who do senior pictures or something:o

Potential discount for OTers:naughty:

24. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I'm in the printer service business and the best tip I think I can give you is to totally understand your income vs expense. Once you think you've got that figured out check and recheck it against real world numbers because printer sales fliers and sales reps are totally misinformed in this area. I have several print shops that I service who are paying way to much and not maximizing their profits simply because they don't understand what its really costing them to print.

Once you got it covered good luck and maybe I'll get some prints from you someday.

25. mojito

mojito New Member

it all depends on the print size and needs. 4x6's, there is 0 reason to do them yourself.

large prints on the other hand . . .

if a 16x24 is less than $4 for ink and paper, compared to 15-20 + shipping and waiting