A&P photography crew v. Aperature / Lightroom

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cbenedict, May 7, 2009.

1. cbenedict

cbenedict OT Supporter

Aperature or Lightroom?

and where can i get some good tutorials on how to use these?
    me is new to these apps

thanks in advance

2. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

Lightroom for sure.

3. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

Lightroom. I hate that Aperture stores all the pictures in one big vault that other programs (aside from iPhoto) cannot access. I know that you can reference the files in another location, but if these move, its a pain in the booty.

4. cbenedict

cbenedict OT Supporter

i always hated how iphoto stored photos somewhere else.

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Aperture. Its quite easy to use and access things once you understand. Even when letting Aperture store the photos you can still access them from other programs when you know how to get at them.

If that is a problem, just reference the files, not a big deal, even if you move them its easy to point Aperture to the right place again. I was hesitant at first, but once using it, spending time with it and understanding how it works, its a superior program.

And c'mon, how often are you ever accessing the photos from something else anyway. If you need a photo in another program, it takes two seconds to export it from Aperture or use the "edit with" command in the program in which case it creates the new file and opens it right in the program for you.

6. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

How is it superior to Lightroom?
    Genuine question. Ive never used Aperture. Just curious.

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

it must be thursday...

I like lightroom better because it's what I know, but Nikon Capture NX is a superior raw developer.

Aperture's tethering support is badass, but it's UI is foreign and wrong to me. I like that lightroom and PS are similar in design.

8. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Thursday?

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Having used both, Lightroom is much better as an all-around program. While I can't remember the specifics, aperture 2 had a couple features that Lightroom 2 didn't but since Lightroom 2 had dual monitor support (the type I wanted), it was a better choice.

Both programs still "bundle" the photos together in one file (called a catalog in Lightroom and I think a bundle in Aperture) and does NOT make changes to the original file sitting on your computer's hard drive. This takes some getting used to if you normally manage your files manually.

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

we get one of these fucking lightroom vs aperture vs photoshop vs paint threads once a week. Probably every thursday.

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I like the UI better, once you get used to it. I like some of the features that Aperture has that Lightroom does not (or at least didnt have when I tried it).

Now, some things may have changed in Lightroom since I tried it, but when I look over the shoulder of someone using it in a media center, I still cant get past the UI, I just like Aperture's much better.

However, Aperture takes some getting used to. If you're used to PS you'll probably initially like LR better. But once you give Aperture a true tryout, I think you'll get to like it.

I downloaded and used the free trial about 4 or 5 times before I really made the decision to use Aperture. Finally, I just purchased it and made myself dive in full force and use it on jobs. When I did that, I really learned the program and learned how to get the most out of it and found it to be really great in the end.

The biggest advantage of Aperture is Smart Folders. Using these, it will automatically sort things as I view and keyword and when I'm done, they're all separated and grouped. And it does it all without making copies or moving files so I dont have duplicates in multiple folders like I did using PS and Photomechanic. I dont think LR has anything similar to Smart Folders and its a huge advantage and key part of my workflow now. Its also something you dont really find useful till you really get into using the program. Hell, I know Aperture users that still dont use them to their advantage and they're missing out on a huge part of the programs advantages.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

LR does smart folders too. folders, smart folders, flag/unflag/reject, 1-5 stars, colors, keywords . . .
    plus localized corrections . . .

I thinks thats the first time I've ever heard someone like apertures layout/UI better

but aperture can make books :naughty:

13. cbenedict

cbenedict OT Supporter

the same books iphoto can do?

14. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Aperture > Shutter

15. mojito

mojito New Member

probably. don't think I've ever touched iphoto. Picasa is available for macs now :naughty:

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I know it can flag, unflag, folders and that kind of stuff, I didnt think it had a function similar to the actual smart folder that Aperture is using since its an apple thing that they use in many of their programs. But as I said, havnt used LR in awhile.

I dont use Aperture for books at all, I use other places for books that are higher quality.

Yeah, I like the UI. I have never seen LR be able to set up the screen like I can in Aperture, I like the tool pallets that are tabbed so I can have one small pallet but access to all the adjustments and projects and metadata. LR just seems to have too much going on with the screen for my liking, you can set Aperture up to be much cleaner imo.

17. mojito

mojito New Member

lr1 had collections
    Lr2 has smart collections. It also has dual monitor support and as always the pallets are hideable