A&P Photography courses

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Dogz, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

Ok so im currently looking at photography courses (2year course). I missed going to college the first time round due to family troubles and i think i should get some qualifications in something. My career aims at the moment are to either become an officer in the army ( im already in the TA, national guard equivalent) or join the police force in an accelerated promotion scheme where u join as a sergeant (doesnt matter what quals u have aslong as u got em so might aswell do something i enjoy).

What im wondering is....incase those plans fall through what types of photography jobs are available? I wouldnt mind incorparating photography and military or photography and motorbikes.

Oh and i know i gotta get better first :mamoru:

2. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

well i finished college and never took photo classes, but wheni finishe di really got into photos so i went back just to take the photo classes the offered. they teach you some good things

3. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

yeah if im gonna study something i may as well do something i enjoy :big grin:

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Many photographers end up opening their own studios. Some, like me, started as a commercial photographer in a studio after graduation. Many others chose photojournalism as a career. The path is pretty much what you make it to be.

5. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

there are 4 areas in photography in which you can go in to :
    Advertising : product photography, fashion, services.....
    Editorial : photojournalism, fashion.... anything related to stories
    Corporate : year reports
    Consumer:you get to work directelly with the client and you provide a specific product, and u get to do usually portraits and weddings.

I guess it depends what you like doing the most, If you would like to do something for the military you might like doing editorial, and if you like taking pictures of bikes you might like Advertising. But then again there are so many areas in photography that you might fall into. I wanted to be a sports photographer, but I ended up in the fashion side of it..... I guess you just have to wait nad see. It also depends a lot to what kind school you are going into..... a fine art school, or a comercial school..... I went to both, and the problem w/ the fine art is that they teach you more what your pictures should mean insted of teaching you more of the technique, but they let you be more creative, If you go to a comercial school they will teach you a lot a bout technique, but you HAVE to make sure that you keep your creativity level up.
    You don't really need to have a studio to start your own photo business.....
    at least most photographers here ibn SoFL are location photographers cuz people don't like goping to studios that much anymore, and fro comercial photography you could allways rent a studio for a day, That way you meke sure that you woun't faill because of undercapitalization right after gtraduating ( I am not saying that everyone fails at this, but most photographers dont have a lot of experience right after they graduate)
    I am graduating in 3 months, and after this I will assinst as many fashion photographers as posible (to learn the ins and outs of the business) and take some lil jobs here and there while I get enough experience to be on my own completelly. There is a better chance of succeding if you become an assistant for a coulpe of years first, than not assisting at all.

www.esohodepot.com
    This is a great website if you want ot get informed about alll this kind of things
    goto AIFL
    Business
    Business 1

it should be down right now, but it will be updated each week w/ more info.(bookmark it)