A&P photographing snowboarding

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FoolioABC, Feb 19, 2010.

1. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

so i'm thinking about bringing my camera with me this weekend when i go snowboarding on at least a run or two to take a couple of action pictures of my friends riding down the mountain.

i've never done this before and i was wondering how people generally get their gear down the mountain to an appropriate location first. i'm going to be bringing a 70-200 lens probably. i'm not a super advanced rider, probably only intermediate level at best and am scared to death of falling on my gear, so i was wondering how people with experience in this have brought down their stuff. i have a kata 451 and lowepro slingshot 100. i was thinking about maybe putting the camera in the lowepro and slinging it to my side since you rarely fall there on snowboarding, but i'm not sure it will even fit or if it will work well. any other suggestions would be awesome

also, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to shoot this type of thing?

2. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

First of all make sure you put a lot more padding into the slingshot, I'd actually recommend getting a Backpack and putting your slingshot into it. And if your other friends are better riders have them bring it off the lift atleast.

While shooting if it's a sunny day you're gonna want to overexpose about 1-1.5 stops from what your meter is reading. Just make sure your subject have nice exposure, don't worry about the snow being blown out. Good luck

3. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

oh and where are you going snowboarding?

4. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

probably going to liberty in philadelphia. it's super close to DC (where i live) so i'll just go for a day trip.

when you did this, did you typically go down once, then sit there while other people go down multiple times or what? i was a little afraid since falling will either be forward or backwards, rather than side to side, but if i can find a backpack maybe that will be a better idea...

5. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

If you're not so comfortable snowboarding/skiing I'd just try to shoot about 2 runs then pack your gear up and put it in your car, so you can enjoy the day.

And I shoot up at the resorts here so I'm up on the hills almost every day.

6. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

Sounds good! thanks for the advice dude, i've wrapped my camera in the slingshot in my buddy's thick laptop bag