Photochop experts help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, May 9, 2006.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

so say i have a pic of 3 objects, red, green, and blue (or watever colors). i wanna make the picture black and white EXCEPT for one object. so one object is colored and the rest is black and white. whats the easy way to do this? any tutorials? ive searched on google but i have no idea what keywords to use. is there a name for this technnique? :dunno:

thanks!!

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

This is how I typically do that.

First use the magnetic lasso tool to create a new layer via copy of the object you want in color. Then in the layer selection, select the main layer, and hide the new layer. Then go to image, adjustments, then select desaturate (or Shift+Ctrl+U). Now reshow your color layer. Should be good to go.

If any other chop experts know of a faster way, please share. I do this pretty often with photos and if there are easier ways, I'd like to hear it!

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok thats the way i did it too. i thought it was too manual and depending on the complexity of the picture, it could take too long. any faster method?

thanks a lot for the input tho :)

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

If you adjust the magic wand settings correctly you can usually get pretty close to outlining the object without manually doing it, hold shift to add to selection, and alt to subtract from.

If it were me I'd get as close as I could to outlining the color object with the magic wand, layer via copy the selection, then clean it up with the eraser (use an airbrush for smoother lines). There's probably 1000 different ways to do it though.

www.pixel2life.com <---If you wanna learn anything in Photoshop :bowdown: