A&P Photo crash course

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by spahndirge, Jun 20, 2009.

1. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

Met a guy tonight who went and spent $1500 on sony dslr & lens and wanted a crash course in photography. He's going to a graduation and wants to take nice photos, doesn't have a clue how to use it, doesn't know what shutter speed, aperture, ISO, anything. Told him to use a mix of Aperture and Shutter Proirity mode and explained everything about it.

Found it kind of cool to know that I've learned a lot in the last 2 years, but infuriating to know that I pretty much wasted 2 hours of my life. Left by telling him, if everything is going to shit, use auto :ugh2:

Is it possible to teach someone the basics of a photography in a few hours or is it a waste of time?

2. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

i taught my wonderfully talented sponge-brain girlfriend aperture/shutter/ISO last night and she gets it.

"OH!, so that's what all that meant in 3DS Max!" :rofl:

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

For most people, it's a waste of time.

4. johan

johan Active Member

depends on the person obviously, but if you only have a few hours, I'd spend maybe 30m on some camera basics, then get them into A or leave it in P mode and talk about composition.

A well composed interesting catchy photo done in P > crappy photo shot in any other mode.

5. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Werd the most I'd go is A mode. Teach him the rule of thirds and turn on the grid if his cam has one.

6. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I've taught photography classes to young kids (1st grade to 8th grade) and they pick it up super fast!

The main points I'd always touch on were what aperture does (more light, but mostly for their purposes controls DOF and how blurry the background is), and shutter speed and freezing action (examples for people walking, fast sports, ect) and just have them stay in Av mode. 90% of the time the kids understood the basics within a weeks time (2-3 short classes).

I think the trick is not to teach them photography, but teach them quick general settings to use on their camera, the understanding of what they're doing will come as time passes.

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I wish people of this forum would stop making all types of photography out to being professional. People just love taking photos and capturing the moment.

In this guy's case, he should leave it in P mode, set the focus priority to be dynamic, and turn the flash on for the graduation. Once done with this, he can then move onto what he's interested in and learn more.

Teaching someone a crash course about photography greater than focus & shoot is just a waste of time.

8. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

People should stop driving their WRX STi's and stick to regular economical cars that serve their true intended purpose...a mode of transportation. Im tired of people making their cars out to be a fashon statement.
    :mamoru:

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

that's relevant...or better yet, a close comparison. :ugh2: