WEB Phone interview for Web Developer position....what to expect?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Just got an E-Mail from a really big local Web Development company I applied with about 2 or 3 months ago for a PHP/MySql position, they want to setup a phone interview with me. Not really sure what to expect. I'm wondering if it's going to be more of a technical quiz or what? The job description is pretty vague on the technical aspects of it, so wouldn't really know what areas to take a quick review on anyways.

Timing was perfect too....I've got a meeting with one of my Freelance clients Friday to work out the details with me coming on full time with them as well. We've been planning on me starting full time there after the new year for months, so they've basically already given me a verbal commitment. Wondering if I should tell them about that in the phone interview?

Going to wait till after lunch time....any tips or advice till then :x:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

3. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

good read....thanks. Should be able to pass that.

writing code over the phone? :dunno:

Honestly I'd be thrilled to get the job, but at the same time wouldn't give a shit if I didn't get it. I'm pretty excited about that other position I mentioned as well, and it's probably just as good an opportunity anyway. Would you mention the other job to them?

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

They probably wouldn't have you write code over the phone. They will, however, probably have you write code on a piece of paper during a second interview at their facilities if you pass the phone screening. Over the phone they'll probably ask how you would apply some OO concepts so they know you at least know something about the subject.

5. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Job description sounds awesome. Good luck!!
    It sounds exactly like my job, except I do Perl instead of PHP.

6. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Word of advice. Make sure your shit is compatible with IE before linking to your work :o

I've made that mistake before :o

7. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

judging from your previous posts, for a basic web dev position you should brush up on your box/model/x-browser comptaiblity. know the pros and cons of technologies. why would you use ajax? where wouldn't you? tell me about usability, how do users' eyes flow? what is ajax? what is CSS, how is it different than html? what is xhtml? what are the four positions in CSS, what do they do? explain how the float works?

OOP? write a custom method.

if it's for php/mysql?
    write a function to reverse an array 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. what are the 1-3 degrees of normalization? 1-5? draw a db model for a basic shopping cart. show me how the tables are built, how would you access the db via php?

the list goes on and on. it's easy to sort out bullshit when you're asked something to the point.

8. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

:o Other than some javascript stuff (I use prototype/scriptaculous), I have nothing to do with any of the front end UI stuff at work. I'm familiar with it, don't work on it (and have no desire to). Last I checked, the whole box model and half of css is broken anyway thanks to M$.

I administrate servers (right now 2 x IIS, 1 x MSSQL, 1 x LAMP and 1 x Exchange), write php, asp (repair is a better term for the shit I've been doing lately), and do a whole lot with both mysql, and mssql (run lots of back end data exchange between web/legacy systems/worldship/ebay etc. for ex. --> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3362/3181432964_9c4471973a_o.gif

that's easy enough....I admittedly have a lot to learn on the more advanced OOP stuff like inheritance, hierarchical shit etc. though. In the process of learning .net as well

:o all of that I've been doing for years.

I may need to review the higher normalization factors again. For Web Apps in the real world, what's more important in many cases is denormalization :run:. In many cases now a days, performance factors are far more important than normalization. I was debating this the other day with a recent CS grad I know who was preaching normalization as gospel. I highly doubt web 2.0 apps like facebook are using a bunch of join queries required w/ normalized data. Hoping they ask me about Mysql though, it's one of my strongest areas (server admin side as well). I'd like to one day be a dedicated mysql dba.

11am tom morn :noes:

What type of development exactly do you do?

9. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Here's a fix for that

stick this at the top of all your pages :mamoru:
    Code:
    <?php
       if (eregi("MSIE",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT")) ||
           eregi("Internet Explorer",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT"))) {
    	Header("Location: http://getfirefox.com");
    	exit;
       }
    ?>