MIL Phone call from DOD?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by greenpillow, Jan 23, 2008.

1. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

I recived a phone call from 312-409-4702. The caller ID stated Department of Defense.

Does anyone know what this number is to? I think it is a scam.
    http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-312-409-4702

Should I report them to the base?

2. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

shouldn't the DoD be investigating this? I mean, if it's been happening since Aug07, i would think it would be of concern.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I wonder who they should report this to? If they are claiming to be with the DoD, would the FBI handle it as a fraud case? :dunno:

Greenpillow - at the least, I would report it to CID. I would go in person and bring a printout of the 800notes.com page.

I see the hadji's picking up the empty care package boxes around the CHUs and always wonder how many guys have left the sender's personal information on the box when they threw it out. This is exactly how I envision that info being used. They call the loved one with a faked caller ID and feed her some bullshit story about how their soldier has been mutilated in an "incident", or they send her an official-looking letter of condolences about her soldier's "death".

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

recruiter office?

5. s3rca

s3rca New Member

i read the link and chuckled to myself when i read this

ive gotten similar calls in the past but none that identified themselves as DOD or any other govt agency. did you by chance get a letter from the VA a while back saying your personal info was on that missing laptop of theirs? after reading that link i find it very surprising that every one of those people were either active duty or had immediate family that were active duty .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. the raging enigma

the raging enigma If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidenc

I work full time at an Army reserve center. All of our calls going out register as Department of Defense. The family readiness officer usually comes in around noon and works till late at night, calling the families of deployed Soldiers usually at night, after 5pm up until 9 pm. It is the best time for them to touch base with the families. Do you have a SO that is overseas? If so, it could be someone calling to give you information (never bad, always good news and updates).

7. the raging enigma

the raging enigma If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidenc

Just called the number, it must be a direct line because there was no menu. It just had a full voice mail box named "Department of Defense" Sounds a little strange to me, unless it is a general line in a building that is not registered to just a single user.

8. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

We do not have any one who is deployed.. from the link I sent you and a few other forums they said they have recived these calls. Now when they call and the military person answers the phone they quickly asked to be passed off to the wife.. and they ask her the questions.

DOD number would not have a call phone voice mail.. nor would they simply just hang up when you pick up the phone..

Either way scam or not.. they will not give info out of us OVER the phone.. if they require info about the husband or myself that they should already have in the computer systems I will gladly go down to the tricare office and submit it or I will call back to the 1800 #

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  9. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

when i was just in Qatar, i had a bahrainian guy come up to me in the full 'derka derka' outfit, bought me a coffee at the airport (safe place) and then asked all kinds of questions about me....asked if i was in the Army, and i told him no.

then he wanted my address and email address so he could take me to bahrain someday. now, he was a really nice guy, and well-spoken....probably 60 years old, but it doesnt matter. i gave him all fake information (so i wouldn't have to decline him and make him feel bad), and immediately afterwards he asked if i wanted to go smoke with him, i politely declined, and he went to smoke.

He never returned, so i am assuming it was the information that he came for ;X (although he was drunk and may have gotten lost or forgotten about me)

(keep in mind i was travelling as a civilian, and by myself over there, so i didn't really want to anger the guy by telling him to fuck off. :coolugh: )

just wanted to add that. ;x

10. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

We went ahead and reported this to the Shirt and she forwarded it out base wide. Go us!

11. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

12. Rich

Rich New Member

Day of Defeat?