Phone Cable

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01Z71, Jul 16, 2005.

1. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

I am trying to redo a wall plate with phone cable. The current setup has two different wires coming in to the plate. It is a large circular jack with screws holding the wires down. From the two wires the red and green are being used. The wires also have a black and yellow wire. Those wires are not being used. I tried putting the wires on a new smaller jack (A square one) like a Cat 5 (RJ-45) wall plate jack and I could not get a dial tone. The phone wires had no writing on them and I do not know how to arrange the pairs to get a dial tone. Any help with this is appreciated.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Red/Green is the color for the 1st line in a multi-line jack. If you had a second line, it would use yellow/black and they'd straddle the red/green pair. You just have to figure out which pair coming out the the wall has your dial tone on it. In my house, its the blue/blue-white pair. Connect those to the red & green pair on the back of the new jack.

3. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

The new jack does not have any colors on it. It just has 1 through 8 for the lines to be pushed down with the punch down tool. I tried connecting all of them and moving them around but could not get a dial tone. I tried doing it without the yellow / black since those were not being used in the current setup. Still no luck.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Why are you using a Cat5 jack for phone? Anyway, you need to put the wires with the dial tone on the 4&5 pins which are blue and blue/white in the standard color scheme. They're the two pins in the middle of the jack. If the point where you punch down the wire is not color coded (every one I've seen has been), you'll need some kind of continuity tester the see which ones connect to the 4&5 pins inside the jack. Or just get a telephone jack that's properly color coded for the application.

5. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

Okay. I don't think it is a cat5 jack because the insert is only big enough for the phone jack. It has no color scheme. I'll try connecting the red and the green to 4&5 pins. The extra red & green what pins should I connect those two? Also, do I need to connect the current unused yellow & black wires? Sorry for so many questions on this but these wire colors are not what I'm used to seeing. My house has the blue and blue-white scheme. I am doing this for a friend. Thanks for your help mcdaniel.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If its a 1 line jack, you only need one pair. If the jack is only big enough for a phone line (too small for a Cat5 network cable) then its probably a 6 pin jack. In that case, you'd connect the "live" pair from the wall to pins 3 & 4 which are the middle pair.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Why the hell would there be 8 punch downs on a RJ11 jack though?

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

There shouldn't be. RJ11 is 4 pins for handset cords. RJ12 is 6 pin for phone line cords up to 3 lines.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Those are RJ9's actually, RJ11 and 12 are the same jack, the RJ12 actually has all 6 conductors though.