MIL phishing scam.. just got ths email.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by willijdub, Jan 24, 2008.

1. willijdub

willijdub New Member

i just got his email. I fucking hate these phishing scams, but to make one like this really gets me going. Id like to enlist teh barracks help in shutting this down, spread the word, and find out who this sgt. tully is, if he is even real, and if so let him know that his name is being used as such.

Printable View This message is not flagged. [ Flag Message - Mark as Unread ]

From:"Sgt John Tully" <[email protected]> [​IMG]Add to Address Book [​IMG]Add Mobile Alert Subject:urgent reply neededDate:Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:55:33 HOW ARE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?I HOPE ALL IS WELL.
    MY NAME IS
    Sgt 1st CLASS JOHN R. TULLY FROM 2nd SQUADRON,3rd ARMOURED REGIMENT PATROLING TAR AFAR, IRAQ AND I`M IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE HAVING SUMMED UP THE COURAGE TO CONTACT YOU.
    I FOUND YOUR CONTACT PARTICULARS IN AN ADDRESS JOURNAL.AND I`M SEEKING YOUR KIND ASSISTANCE TO MOVE THE SUM OF ($18 MILLION U.S. DOLLARS) EIGHTEEN MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS TO YOU, JUST AS LONG AS I CAN BE ASSURED THAT MY SHARE WILL BE SAFE IN YOUR CARE UNTIL I COMPLETE MY SERVICE HERE.
    SOURCE OF MONEY :
    SOME MONEY IN VARIOUS CURRENCIES WERE DISCOVERED IN BARRELS AT A FARMHOUSE NEAR ONE OF SADDAM’S OLD PALACES IN TIKRIT-IRAQ DURING A RESCUE OPERATION, AND IT WAS AGREED BY STAFF SGT KENNETH BUFF AND I THAT SOME PART OF THIS MONEY BE SHARED AMONG BOTH OF US BEFORE INFORMING ANYBODY ABOUT IT SINCE BOTH OF US GOT TO THE MONEY FIRST. THIS WAS QUITE AN ILLEGAL THING TO DO, BUT I TELL YOU WHAT? NO COMPENSATION CAN MAKE UP FOR THE RISK WE HAVE TAKEN WITH OUR LIVES IN THIS HELL HOLE. OF WHICH MY BROTHER WAS KILLED BY A ROAD SIDE BOMB LAST
    TIME.
    THE ABOVE FIGURE WAS GIVEN TO ME AS MY SHARE, AND TO CONCEAL IT BECAME A PROBLEM FOR ME, SO WITH THE HELP OF A BRITISH CONTACT WORKING HERE, AND HIS OFFICE ENJOYS SOME IMMUNITY, I WAS ABLE TO GET THE PACKAGE OUT TO A SAFE LOCATION ENTIRELY OUT OF THE TROUBLED SPOT. HE DOESN`T KNOW THE REAL CONTENTS OF THE PACKAGE, AND BELIEVES THAT IT BELONGS TO A BRITISH/AMERICAN MEDICAL DOCTOR WHO DIED IN A RAID AND BEFORE GIVING UP, TRUSTED ME TO HAND OVER THE PACKAGE TO HIS FAMILY IN THE UNITED STATES.NOW I`VE FOUND A
    VERY SECURED WAY OF GETTING THE PACKAGE OUT OF IRAQ TO YOU TO PICK UP, AND I`LL DISCUSS THIS WITH YOU WHEN I AM SURE THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO ASSIST ME, AND I BELIEVE THAT MY MONEY WILL BE SECURE IN YOUR CUSTODY. I NEED YOU TO TELL ME HOW MUCH YOU WILL TAKE FOR THE ASSISTANCE YOU WILL GIVE TO ME.

ONE PASSIONATE APPEAL I WILL MAKE IS NOT TO DISCUSS THIS MATTER WITH ANYBODY, SHOULD YOU HAVE REASONS TO REJECT THIS OFFER, PLEASE AND PLEASE DESTROY THIS MESSAGE AS ANY LEAKAGE OF THIS INFORMATION WILL BE TOO BAD FOR US SOLDIER’S HERE. I DON`T KNOW HOW LONG WE`RE GOING TO REMAIN HERE BUT I`VE BEEN SHOT, WOUNDED AND SURVIVED TWO
    SUICIDE BOMB ATTACKS BY THE SPECIAL GRACE OF GOD, THIS AND OTHER REASONS I WILL MENTION LATER HAS PROMPTED ME TO REACH OUT TO YOU FOR HELP, I HONESTLY WISH THIS MATTER TO BE RESOLVED IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT ANY DELAY, PLEASE CONTACT ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WITH MY PRIVATE E-MAIL ADDRESS WHICH IS MY ONLY WAY OF COMMUNICATION
    [email protected]

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

SGT 1st CLASS JOHN R.TULLY

2. willijdub

willijdub New Member

couple things to notice, he says he is in "tar afar" wtf??? i know of tal afar, but not tar afar.... also, two different emails, one being the hotmail addy, and the second being the gmail addy. thought id point that out. maybe it helps.

3. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

you just have to think to yourself, why would someone want to give me 18 million dollars

4. willijdub

willijdub New Member

for real right! lol.

5. s3rca

s3rca New Member

Nigerian scams are generally written in all caps and fit a very similar format as this email . they used to just write about inheritance issues and the like but i guess theyre getting a bit more clever .

6. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

that is how I got my family to stop asking me about them

7. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Forward the email to your security manager