SRS Personality makeover

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Schecter1277, May 12, 2007.

1. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

I've always had a problem of, as my teacher put it "going out of my way to offend people." It seems I have a very dry sense of humor that very few people get, so, most things I say(without realizing it, or without even trying to be funny) come off as offensive. Does anyone else have this problem or had this problem? If so, how did you get over it?

2. SpaMan

SpaMan Mind over matter.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, that's my humor too. Just try to be balanced about it and work on toning down the sarcasm. Some people have trouble with sarcasm, heck I do too ironically. I know what you mean though, being interpreted wrongly and made out to feel bad or guilty. Sounds like you're cursed with being an honest person, more power to you.

I'm sort of learning to control it. The idea is to try to adapt to other people's demeanors as some people cant handle yours; sacrifice. I know that sounds manipulative, and even I have trouble accepting it. I'll end with the proverbial: you can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink.
    Just like you can't make everyone understand your humor. No big deal, just adapt.

3. Damn Dutchman

Damn Dutchman New Member

Just insult a very muscular guy, and hope for a abrupt brain damage impact that will change you.

4. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

Did it work for you, because you seem to have sustained some damage.:rofl:

Thanks Spaman, it does seem to be that I am a bit forward with honesty, which may be my downfall. It's that and sarcasm that has pissed off a lot of people. One person said it takes a certain kind of person to be my friend.

5. Takitome

Takitome New Member

I think the best you can do is try to explain to your friends or people about it, show it as a weakness, that you really mean well and eventually you'll stop it and learn what not to say.

I had a friend at work who was like that. At first I was sure he was trying to provoke me intentionally. I eventually confronted him about it and he explained to me that he didn't have any ill intention. So after a long talk we came to an understanding, I would point out whenever he said something that was out of line just to make him aware of it

But my friend told me that that was the most difficult part, because what he tried to do wether he realised it or not, was be confident and funny to hide the other parts of his personality, and showing any sort of weakness or unsureness wasn't part of his style and if he would try to explain it to anyone he would feel too embarrassed about it.