Personal web server with IIS 5.1 on XP Pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by yoloo, Jul 19, 2004.

1. yoloo

yoloo hi

hey yo, is there anyone from off-topic who can give me some advice/pointers on how to do run my own webserver with xp pro. i know there are limitations like the 10 TCP connection max, but all i want to do is to do some simple ASP development for show and fun. how do i point my domain name to the the computer that i will use as my server? is it possible to do if i'm going to be using roadrunner with a router to split my connection for other computers also? will the other computers connected to the router also be exposed to hackers if i open port 80?

any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Not 'Yo' but I may be able to help...

XP pro comes with IIS5.1 and works just fine... install it with Add and Remove programs under the Windows section. Once installed right click on My Computer and select manage. Under Services and Applications you will have IIS, this is where you control the site.

You need someone to do DNS for you to point the domain to your IP. You should be able to find an online company to do that for free or a minor fee. And yes it SHOULD work on Roadrunner, but you might want to check your TOS. Hosting servers on most ISP's is against their rules.

You will want to forward port 80 to that machine from your router. YOU WILL WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU SECURE THE MACHINE before you do that. That includes updating the Windows updates, renaming the admin account, etc etc (Google around for securing IIS) Forwarding that port will not effect other machines, unless the machine you want it pointed to unsecure. Yes its port 80...

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

dynip.com will do forwarding to dynamic IP's.

there are several others out there, but i've used this one with good results.

4. yoloo

yoloo hi

thanks keyzs thanks maczter

hey keyzs, um, if my machine is for some reason not fully secure, will hackers be able to reach other machines on the router if i use the forwarding method u describe? what kind of damage can hackers do? they cant do anything that a reformat and reinstall of the operation system cant fix right? i'm gonna use a new machine that doesnt have any important data or unnecessary programs on it. but i will have machines that are very important on the router also.

thanks man. sorry for the yo.

5. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

yoloo,

What kind of router are you using? Also, does your ISP offer Static IP? If you can get a static IP I recommend it, it usually isnt that much more per month and it will make your life easier.

If you can get a static IP I also recommend www.zoneedit.com They do free DNS and I use them with no problems. If you need any help setting up your account with zoneedit(because it is a little confusing at first) PM me and I can help you out.

As far as your security issues. I have a very similar setup to what you are trying to do. There are about 5 pc's on my home network, one of which I am using as a server for HTTP and FTP and remote admin, those are the only ports I have open. I have all windows updates and am running Norton AV, even without norton windows updates should take care of everything, but better safe than sorry. Plus, your router will pretty much take care of everyone on the outside. Anyway, I have never had an attack and am going on 2 years of this setup. Again, if you need help with this PM me and I will hook you up.

Skrt

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Server behind a router/firewall with ports forwarded is pretty much how the a lot internet is served up.

I cannot say much on the static/dynamic IP issue, never tried it on dynamic. I have heard its not a big deal...

Basically if anyone of your machines is compromised there is a good chance the person who accessed that one can access the others THROUGH the first one. And measuring what a hacker can do by the final condition of the machine (if it just needs to be formatted) is just a small part of the issue, the information on that machine they may get that will cause you the biggest headache. Email addresses, username, possible credit card info, passwords etc. Even if they are not stored one of the most common issues with home computers is keyloggers that record what you type. And then we all need to deal with it, majority of spam if from compromised computers on the internet. Almost all the big DOS attacks are from hacked pc's...

Do the patches religiously, get good antivirus (McAfee does not fit this category in my opinion) updated regularly, and not opening any extra ports to ‘Show off’ and you should be fine. You should be more worried if its against the rules of your ISP and if it is do they scan for violators???

7. maczter

Roadrunner doesn't like you to host stuff from your machine unless you have a business account, but as long as it's not a high traffic site, you might slip under the radar.

If it's a high traffic site, you'd be better off with a professional hosting company anyhow, as the upload bandwidth of residential roadrunner will be limiting and make your site suck. :)

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You may find that they also block incoming port 80 requests on their end, so you might have to use another port other than the default.

9. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

i have cox here and i found out the hard way with a lot of hair pulling as to why my server would not work...and it was because they dont accept inbound port 80 requests. i think roadrunner was the same when i played with it on a friends in another state...but you might want to double check. if its for personal stuff, you could just get by with using a different port.

10. maczter

it's also different in each city. i've had no problems with it, but i just use it for testing and not a high-traffic site, so they haven't had a problem with it.

11. yoloo

yoloo hi

thanks a lot for all the info. i think i will only have the server machine connected to the router when port 80 is open. i'm not planning to have any sensitive information at all on the server machine. it's just something i want to set up for fun and something i can learn from. as far as traffic goes, i really dont think that there will be that much traffic. if more people start visiting the asp pages i plan on writing, i'll pay extra for the developer package at 1and1...

i upgraded from the free package to the MS Home package to get ASP support. after i did that, i found out that i need the "developer" package for ACCESS db support. i was like wth? what good is ASP if there is no damn database support also. this was part of the reason i wanted to create a personal web server...that way when i want to experiment with .NET projects i will be able to host them also.

12. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

You're not getting the point of the ports. Keep the machine secure and you will not have a problem, if its not secure you are screwed anyways. Disconnecting other machines from the router when you have port 80 open is just a waste of time. (you mean your actually going to physically unplug them???) If your that worried about it, maybe you should not be trying it.

Most hosts don't care or notice if you use DSNless connections for database access. Unless you have one them hosts that will not allow you to upload MDB files you might want to try it.

13. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

i use my win server 2k3 for .net dev too. I use it locally for that stuff, but when I go to publish..I have an account with webhost4life.com and I get unlimited bandwidth, 150mb space, Access, MSSQL, MySQL, etc database support and loads of others for like 9.99 i believe. Its a pretty good deal considering the bandwidth is unlimited. Might want to take a look at that if your going to go live with your asp.net projects.