Personal Watercraft?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Enigma, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Enigma

Enigma Guest

What PWC (if any) do you guys own? I'm really thinking about getting one, and from the ones I've actually used I liked the Seadoo XP (like '96 I think). Do you think buying one that is like maybe, 5-7 years old a good idea or will it fall apart as soon as I get it. :hs: I've got a friend that bought two '95 models last year, one JetSki and one Seadoo and they worked fine.. but obviously he only used them last summer and doesn't know what they will do this summer. So anyway.. if any of you have any experience with this hook me up with whatever you know, best make, model, etc. I'd prefer to get one of the smaller (1-2) seater as opposed to the 3 seater types and don't want to spend over like $3500-$4000 for it, thats why I'm looking at some that are used/older.

Thanks

2. millero

millero Aluminum Member

'97 Yamaha

I bought a '97 Yamaha WaveVenture 760 3-seater used 6 weeks ago. Other than it smoking a little bit more than it should, I have not had any problems with it. I got it at a steal (1500 bucks with the trailer) and it will run 53 mph with me on it (200lbs). The smoking is from burning oil, which is fine engine-wise except it will foul the spark plugs quicker. Friends of mine have also bought used PWCs, and the only problems that they have faced were the need for tune ups or carb adjustment. If you look around you can find good deals.

As far as the best make, I'm a little biased. I'm a Yamaha fan, but I have read that Yamaha is a very durable jetski. I've heard that Seadoo's and Kawasaki's spend more time in the shop than in the water. But here again, this is just like "Ford, Chevy, Dodge" debates.

3. JETRep

JETRep New Member

1996 Sea-Doo XP:
    [​IMG]

2001 Yamaha GP1200R:
    [​IMG]

You should probably be able to get a '96 XP for around $2k. It's a great boat for messing around on. It's not too good for riding more than one person and the gas tank is a bit small.

You may be able to get a GPR in that price range. It's faster and quite a bit more stable but not nearly as good for doing spins and stuff. Tons of mods available for it.

You can get lots of good info at www.sea-doo.net but they will be biased if asking for pwc recommendations.

Keep in mind they can be fairly expensive to own. I pay $20/gal for oil. I typically burn a tank of gas per outing, which is 16 gallons.

Also, ignore people who claim their pwc goes insanely fast. The speedos aren't accurate but people still like to believe they are going 75mph. Pretty much no stock boat will go over 65mph.

4. millero

millero Aluminum Member

How do you like your Yamaha? I ran along side one with mine and we ran even for the most part (he might be 3 to 5 mph faster because of the trim). I dont know if the guy was scared of it or what but he told me he gave it all he could.

5. JETRep

JETRep New Member

It's a pretty good boat. I've got 115hrs on it.

Are you sure it was a 1200 and not an 800? If you were hanging with a 1200 the rider didn't know what he was doing.

6. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

I have had 2 650 Kawasaki Stand-ups, 1 550 Kawasaki Stand-up, 2 older seadoo 2 seaters.

The stand-ups have to be the most fun jetski I have been on. It takes way more to control them, but damn they are fun.

7. 2K-2.5RS

2K-2.5RS No caffeine - No function

1996 Sea-Doo XP, good boat, I've had a lot of fun with it.

8. KeeperOfAcheron

I am going down today to try and get my hands on a new Polaris Octane...if they have any left.

9. KeeperOfAcheron

And still one of the coolest IMO

10. nonplus

nonplus New Member

For riding stand-ups well.. do you take any lessons, or just teach yourself?

11. KeeperOfAcheron

I learned all by my lonesome. Took a good full day of falling quite a bit to even learn how to balance the ski. Took a whole nother day to even get standing and balancing well for me.

But after a year of riding, I entered into amatuer (sp?) modified and stock class racing.