Personal Training

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Gutrat, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

If you were to get certified who would it be by? Who is the best/most respected certification place? In Canada...

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

if you just want to do it for a couple bucks then find the place you want to work and then find out whose cert they'll accept.

If you want to make it a career then the only cert that means anything is a BS in Exercise Science/Kines. with your CSCS then possibly a masters or some elite level competative history.

3. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

yeah, for a career you gotta go to college, certs are BS.

4. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Im ISSA certified and both my coworkers have a BS, one in sports medicine and one in Kinesiology, i make the same pay as them. Those degrees dont really do jack shit for you

5. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

if you are going to be a "personal trainer" the best degree is prolly marketing

if you want to do anything related to real S & C you will need a degree.

6. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Find a gym that will hire you, make sure your clients get results and profit.

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

ISSA is $100 off right now i think

8. pt

pt New Member

:werd: Most certs in general (not just PT ones) are indeed a joke. I'm NETA certified, and ISSA, ACE are next. I have 2 clients right now, and a couple students that I'm training for free. References/word of mouth/location are all important.

9. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

training some for free and getting results is an great idea..thats how you get a base going.

10. is300eater

is300eater New Member

...yeah, we had some chick a few years ago coming into our gym with some kind of degree... she walked around like she was better than everyone else... I remember her first week... everytime she introduced herself... she'd start by saying what she majored in... but yet... first of all... she was outta shape... had a big ass... and 2nd she didn't know how to train (clients) for shit. She never workout... her excuse was... "...I play a lot of volleyball..."

I may not be able to name every single freakin' muscle in the human body, but when it all comes down to it... it's all about experience...

11. Doronin

Doronin New Member

Yeah, it is. They are having the summer special right now.

I am completing certification through ISSA and I can guarantee that the certifications are pretty much BS but you got to have it to work at a decent gym. About the only reason I found anything worthwhile from this so far is that I learned a few cool things that I wasn't aware of beforehand.

Actually, the best thing I learned from ISSA was how to make a sale. That was honestly the most useful thing in there. Everything else in the book I either knew already from my Biology 101 and 102 classes or from prior experience from just simply working out all the time and reading books on weightlifting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.