PERSONAL TRAINING QUESTION....for those of you that have experience...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Patrick Bateman, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

Can I TRAIN someone at a gym with zero problems? A bigger gym like golds/ballys, if both me and my client have full memberships? its not like against the club rules/law or anything right? I'd just be following him working out, 20 mins of treadmill with him probably, then spotting him/training him the rest of the workout, i have a couple clients interested, i'd be taking them to the same gym, is this any sort of problem? if it is, theres 500000x around it, but i was just wondering if i even have to worry (pretend like im working out w them)

2. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Might want to try asking management first... They might not like it since you're essentially taking business away from their on-staff trainers though.

Actually, I'd probably just do it and not tell anyone who works there what's going on.

3. Patrick Bateman

yeah, exactly what i was thinking.........I mean, the person would need rest regardless, so I guess I could just do really really light weight that day. to demonstrate the motions, but I'd really just not want to do any work while training and be focused on the client......

4. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

i was wondering this, because alot of the trainers i see that are on hand dont look to be in the best shape slightly out of shape or just dont look like they work out ha.

If it was me I'd just be there training partner but could get difficult if u had multiple ppl

5. smb is me

smb is me New Member

At my old gym there was an older guy (about 50 in really good shape) that was a beast. They wouldn't let him legitimately work his training regimen (involved a lot of plyometrics and high intensity cardio circuits) with a workout buddy, b/c they said he was acting as a trainer, but wasn't certified or affiliated with the gym-and they would be held liable for letting him act in that role. This was at the Aspen gym.

6. Patrick Bateman

this is what im afraid of.

but that is absolutely RETARDED.....what if i was helping my buddy, what if they dont know hes paying me, we both PAY FOR THE GYM, so just because im not working out i cant be there? even though im a member of the gym? what if i do bullshit 2.5lbs sets while he rests would THAT make it ok? :rofl:

7. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

I wouldnt ask. They WILL say no and then have their eye on you.

Just do it and be a bit sly. You should be fine.

8. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

IIRC Timber doesn't tell the gym and just works along with them so it looks like they are training together.

9. smb is me

smb is me New Member

IDK,

I do know, that with this dude, he really was just helping his buddy, and the Aspen still told him he could no longer do it.

10. Patrick Bateman

:bowdown:

11. Patrick Bateman

thats goddamn retarded.

12. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

No you will get banned from the gym if they find out. You have to remember most personal trainers, especially at commercial gyms are usually faggots for the most part and thats all they really have.

To get around it just go "undercover" and work out with your client, if you have to just go really light and do volume so it looks like you are working out. Never had a problem with it as far as being "professional", just make it clear to your client what is going down. Get in good with the majority of your gym's staff and for the most part everyone will just look past you. If you have any people skills what so ever you will be able to talk your way out of it.

13. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

They will not let you.

In their mind, you are taking business from them, and using their facility not as a place for you to workout, but as a place for you to conduct business.

Definitely don't ask them. Just go ahead and do it but make sure you work out along WITH the person so if anyone ever says anything (and they will) you can say you two are workout partners.
    So don't walk around with a clip board and tell the person what to do, etc... or they'll kick you out on your ass. Often they ban on the first time they catch you.

Try to do your stuff in the corner of the gym make it look they're a buddy of yours.

I used to work at a commercial gym so I know these things broski.

14. 60druidgurubash

60druidgurubash OT Supporter

its listed on a rule at my gym that outside trainers are not allowed but its not enforced at all.

15. Patrick Bateman

thanks guys, this helps a lot

16. Biskit

Biskit Active Member

Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Do what DTR rex said and if anyone asks, he's just your buddy.

17. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

why are you worrying about the most mundane issue?

go to any gym with a "client" and pay the daily rate, or have your client pay for it as an added cost to your session fee.

simple.

18. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Definitely do not ask management. And if there are different locations try taking each client to a different location. Here there was at least half a dozen locations of Extreme Fitness/ Bally's. You could probably get away with training two clients at the same location if you stagger the times.
    When the gym opens is usually a good time since hardly anyone is around.
    And cover yourself up. A big red flag for them is if one is in alot better shape than his 'training partner'. It still became tiring for me after awhile, working a few sets in with different clients.

19. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Simple and damn wrong.:nono:

20. Patrick Bateman

:bowdown:

21. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

In my experience, most gyms won't allow it. I have however, been to a couple gyms that will. BUT, you have to pay a much greater monthly rate, basically giving the gym a cut of your money.

Best thing to do would be train them at another gym to take the eyes off you.

22. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

why not explain to me why its wrong? thats what they do at the gym I go to.

23. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

You can't run a business inside of their business, if it looks like you are training somebody they will watch you for a few workouts to make sure, then ban you and the member from the gym.

They have trainers on staff who are covered by their insurance and meet their requirements as far as certs and degrees, but they know nothing about you, and you are a liability if you injure your client. Also you are taking food off their employees plates in their eyes, if a gym member wants PT they can hire a PT from that gym.

You may be able to do it on the low for a few sessions but I think it makes you look shifty and irresonsible to your client when you say things like " Hey don't mention that I am training you" and "by the way what we are doing right now is totally illegal and if they catch us you will void your contract with the gym and still owe your full membership dues"

24. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

read the thread, we know what we are talking about. If it happens at your gym it's either contracted PT or they just haven't been caught yet.

25. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.