personal trainer sessions?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Reznik, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reznik

Reznik New Member

alright, so I finally joined a gym and had a consulting session with a PT. He encuoraged me to take Personal training sessions to learn good form since I am new to lifting weights.

Its 80 bucks a session or you can take a 7 session package for ~350 something. I can probably afford 1-2 sessions max but he said that wouldn't be enough (they're salesmen!).

My question is, is it worth it? Has anybody started off by just refering to the internet or books or whatever and you're doing fine?:coolugh:

2. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

It probably wouldn't be a complete waste if lifting is entirely foreign to you. I guess it depends on the PT. If he/she treats you the same way they would an 80 year old grandma, then your benefit will be minimal. But if they train you to really help yourself, it could be worth it.

3. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I think my few sessions with a trainer hurt as much as they helped. He gave me part of the equation (basic form, mind muscle connection, some diet info) but set me up with a lifting program that wouldn't get me anywhere. I think his assumption was that I would keep buying sessions to get a program that would start to benefit me, but I am not rich.

F&N > PT

4. is300eater

is300eater New Member

...like Davo said, a good trainer will recognize the needs of a client... just like a good mechanic would to a car... it's always good to get there a little earlier and watch how the trainer train the client before you or when he/she is training other clients... if he/she is having you do virtually the same stuff as someone with totally different needs then you might want to bring it up... a good trainer will always ask YOU questions before any training start... like: "...what's your goal?" "...do you have any 'problem' areas?"-as in back problems, joints... neck etc etc... "...do you have any past injuries?" "...do you play any sports?" Those are questions that the trainer should ask... BEFORE beginning any training. Again... going back to the mechanic analogy, when you take your car in... they always ask what's it in for, right? They don't just start working on it randomly...

You need to do some asking as well... bypass the whole certification question... they don't mean shit... ask'em questions like... "..what's the difference between... tricep rope extension and... reverse grip cable press downs..." -if he/she anwers... "..both are for the tricep muscle.." then ask him/her "...but on what occasion would I do one or the other?" and if his/her awswer is brief and vague... then they probably don't know a whole lot. I know I'm getting into the nitty gritty, and I seem like I expect a lot, but for $80/session? C'mon.... they should know more...

Oh, BTW, I think a lot of these gyms' training sessions are "nogotiable" so maybe you can say.... "...how about 3 sessions for $200?" It doesn't hurt to try...

5. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

honestly, unless he is an elite level powerlifter, a national level olympic lifter, or a CSCS I wouldn't pay a dime for his advice.

Don't assume because someone is big or ripped or both that they know what they are talking about when it comes to sound form. They may know a ton and be a great resource or they may be complete fucktards.

6. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

How would you have answered the cable reverse grip pronated rotated tricep rope thingo question?

ps. I'd probably want my trainer to laugh

7. Danny

Danny New Member

:werd: this man speaks the truth

8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

In.

Board press LYTEW8!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.