A&P Personal Review of the NEw Digital Canon Rebel 300D

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by redna, Sep 23, 2003.

1. redna

redna New Member

Well i went down to the local Kits Camera and low and behold they had one on the shelf. I took it down and ran through all of the controls and switches to get an idea of what they all did then started taking some pictures.

My Gripes:

- No ability to view through the LCD while taking pictures. You MUST use the eye hole.
    - Plastic case felt like it was going to break if i squeezed it too hard
    - Camera buttons and other things felt less than the highest quality.
    - Zoom wasnt as good as i had hoped for.
    - Flash pops up and sounds like its going to spring off the thing and poke you in the eye.
    - Controls arent the easiest thing in the world to use. It would be something that you would have to definately break out the manual for.
    - You have to press the button down rather hard/low to take the picture... so low that i thought i had done something wrong a few times and lifted the camera to see what was wrong.
    - Delay from the press to the snap was slightly longer than that of my DSC-P92 digital

The Goods

- quick recoup time between pictures. you can take like 1 a second if you are snapping continualy... once it starts to load though you have to wait.
    - Light weight
    - Good quality on the lense... it feels really light but it is tight and precise.
    - Comfortable to the hand... was easy to hold for the whole time i was there.
    - Through the lense viewing so i know what im taking a pic of...
    - lots of modes to take pictures in all located convieniently by the shutter button.

Overall:

Overall i thought the camera felt cheap. It didnt have the feel of what i would think a $1000.00 camera would have. Truth be told it felt like my Sony was better built than the Canon. I was insecure that if it were to be hit swinging from my neck by anything, that it would break.

The images were good and the focus and zoom were easy to use in both manual and auto modes (auto/manual focus, manual zoom). I liked the sports mode and the ability to take several pictures at a time before it loaded. The load time though was rather long between pictures once you took one especially if you used a flash. The macro mode wasnt that impressive but then again i didnt have a whole lot to take a picture of.

All in all i stood there in Kits Camrea for about and hour and fifteen minutes and played with the camera. It was comfortable to hold the whole time (i think i set it down 1 time) and my arm or hand didnt get tired at all. The buttons are placed strangely for me, it just doesnt make sense where they stuck some of them. The viewer was pretty clear but it was more like looking at a regular computer monitor than an LCD.

Cliff Notes:

I wouldnt spend $1000.00 on the camera.

2. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

thanks for taking the time to post a review :bigthumb:

question: have you used the 10d??

i have only played with both the 300d and the 10d in a store, and played with a friend's nikon d100 at a race.

i hated the wheel on the back of the 10d, and would almost consider buying the 300d instead just for the d-pad.

3. redna

redna New Member

I only played with the 300D in the store as well, but like i said i was there playing with it for about an hour and 15 minutes. I also played a little with the 10D and the D100.... I like both better than the 300D based on feel and comfort. I dont own any of them yet though.. I'm still trying to figure out which one i want to invest the cash in.

So far the 10D is ahead. :big grin:

4. fliptight

fliptight Guest

hmm makes me wanna go visit a ritz camera store now. anyway i was talking to someone at my university today and his uncle gets to test out all the prototypes (and keep them) because he works for Canon. he got to test out the 300D few months ago already.

i asked him if i should get the 300D or the older D30 and he said definitely go with the D30. shrug. i'd settle for either one right now!

5. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

Um, the gripe about not having a "good" zoom... buy a new lens... thats why the lenses are interchangable... buy a 2000mm lens and you wont complain about the zoom... you may complain that it is extremely heavy and you cant hold it... well you are supposed to use a monopod or tripod with any lens that large.

Yah, it probably feels cheap, cause it is a consumer camera... not a pro pro-sumer... so you have an all plastic housing... which will make it feel light and cheaper.

I have a 10d... so I know from that side... but yah looking at the 300D I thought the controls looked really weird... dosent seem like you have easy access while taking a photo (which is really hand in manual modes)

FYI the "eye hole" is called the viewfinder.

(sorry I just woke up, I am tired, I know this is incoherient... with lots of typos)

6. KW802

KW802 New Member

Either I'm having a really bad case of Deja Vu or..... mr2monster.

7. redna

redna New Member

haha... yeah mr2monster here.

8. poostik

poostik member

lol

. . . the eye hole is the only place to look on any slr.

9. redna

redna New Member

i know

10. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

I have a 10D and I played with the 300D the other day. The build of the 10d is way better . The 300D has a Fisher Price My first Camera type of feel. Big buttons, light plastic etc. But it still takes good pics.

Oh and abou the lens and zoom, save up and buy another canon ef lens, and if you have lots of money buy some of the canon L glass like the 70mm-200mmL IS.