GUN Personal protection

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Didact, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Didact

Didact I have no idea what I'm doing

Ok, this isn't a question that can or should be answered with 'talk to your boss', 'Why did you take this job?', or anything that could change te circumstances around it.

I'm I'm working as a medic now in a very rural, very back woods area with a extremely high poverty rate AND unemployeement rate. For a lack of a better term, it's the ghetto.

It's interesting enough that a majority of the 911 calls are assaults and law enforcement is barely capable of showing up to assist EMS on calls. Most of the time you don't know you need them till you make scene.

So as a medic, I can't carry (open or concealed). I'm not SUPPOSED to carry a knife bigger than what could be classified as a 'work or utility' knife. No pepper. No asp (well that's never really mentioned).

Any ideas for personal protection that fits in these guidelines OR is concealable enough that I don't have to worry?

2. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Jframe in a pocket holster in your back or cargo pocket :dunno: Do you actually have pocket space though? I've seen a few EMT's that keep a lot of stuff in their pockets so there really isn't room.

Do you have a personal first aid bag that you bring with you? Any room in there?

3. Didact

Yeah we've got cargo style pants. I keep several things in the pockets (guides, maps, notes) but I still have room.

I used to have a personal carry medic bag that usually stays in the truck. It's a backpack, usually has some books (in RN school).

4. Didact

And no firearms. A medic outside of tactical medics for LE hasn't been allow to carry ever. It's null point, we've argued that forever.

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

This job worth your life? Your call.

They say no guns for liability reasons. Meaning they don't want to be liable for your life, or loss of it. When they don't care about your life, it probably means that you should.

6. Didact

I know this. But it's not up for discussion at this moment. Actually working as a medic here isn't more dangerous than working alone without LE in a major city slum. Medics are unarmed all over the country.

7. MTech

MTech New Member

My friend does the same shit.. I want to say you can or they're talkin about being able to have tasers.. I do know however that he wears a vest and I read somewhere that glock gives discounts for EMS as well so you get same deal as LEO..even though you're not supposed to carry apparently..

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Mag light in a belt holder? A small think of fox labs pepper spray can easily hide in your pockets.

9. smartypants

smartypants New Member

ASP key defender

No guns - if medics are considered to be armed, they will draw fire.

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

so... you're not allowed to carry any weapons at all and you want advice on what to carry?

How 'bout you buy a good pair of running shoes?

Do they pat you down every day or something? Is someone going through your pockets? If your life is in danger, a pocket gun is almost impossible to notice. Who cares if you lose your job? If you need to pull it, your life is in danger.

11. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Concealed means concealed ;)

I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons if you ever were caught with it. If you do it right, no one will ever know.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: I'd carry, most likely no one will ever need to know and if that happens, better to be job hunting then your family casket shopping.

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Working the bus, I would not have any trouble concealing my Kel-tec P3AT or P32 in a RJ Hedley pocket holster. Hardly a fighting gun, but better than nothing at intimate range. Then you also have to consider that when carrying a firearm, you need to maintain control of it at all times, while carrying a patient, fiddling around in the back, mucking around...could be more trouble than its worth.

If I carried at work, which I of course do not, and definitely have no knowledge of anyone else who does.

Disengaging from the scene doesn't have to be a big "pop smoke and lay down cover fire" deal. Remember you left something in the bus that you urgently need, and stage in the area until the cops get there. It is the hardest thing a medic can do to know someone needs your help and have to wait for the police to secure the scene, and sometimes even hear and see them pleading for your help...but they didn't drill that "scene safety? BSI." routine into your head for kicks. By risking your life on an unsafe scene today, you deprive potentially thousands of patients your life-saving skills for the rest of your life.

In short, if there is any question in YOUR mind about the safety of the scene, it is UNSAFE and needs the cops there before you lay hands or set foot in the door.

14. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

As long as you won't draw any legal trouble, I'd say carry a P3AT, they are pretty small, and the .380 can due enough damage is delivered properly. Certainly better then nothing.

15. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Exactly. They won't know if you do it right, and if they ever do find out it'll be because you used it in self defense. I'll loose my job over my life any day.

16. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

honestly, unless they are searching you ever time you go on shift, I would go with the above and get a j-frame. Either you never need it and they never find out that you have it, or you pull it and shoot someone, and you go job hunting.

17. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Sounds like youre pretty much fusked unless you wanna break regs (what I would do)

18. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

The guys I know that work at grady hospital (downtown atlanta, they see some shit) generally wear vests, then they have one of the small pressure point sticks (can't remember the name) and some carry small asps.

They don't seem to have a problem, but they usually have police if needed, plus most of them look like bouncers.

19. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I'd rather be fired than dead.

20. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i would carry if your life is in danger. like the above posts, i'd rather look for a job........

21. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

1) A couple guys on forums.m1911.com have said the new "Colt New Agent" (super-compact 1911) fits great in their pockets, if you decide you're looking to go that way.

2) Collapsable baton or taser?
    3) Kung-fu lessons
    4) Running shoes

22. smartypants

smartypants New Member

The little stick is called a Kubaton
    The ASP Key Defender combines this, a small can of OC, and a Key Flail for self-defense.

23. JaimeZX

Fancy! Link?

24. smartypants

smartypants New Member

25. JaimeZX