Personal Macworld 2008 In Review

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWeasel, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Another Macworld has come and gone. I can't say there was anything all that great at the show this year. I walked around feeling a little empty as I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy. Overall the show went well for my company (other then the new graphics for the stand not showing up until the 3rd day).

First day of the show I went to the Cnet/VersionTracker party at CNET HQ a couple blocks from the Moscone. Talked with plenty of people I only get to see once a year and had a good time. Ran into David Pogue in the elevator at my coworkers hotel, he was heading out to find a place that had useable bandwidth (speeds of 0.01K/sec don't cut it these days). Then it was off to Dick's Bar where we met up with all the people from the Mac IT crowd. I missed the last BART out to Union City so I crashed on the floor across the street at the Westin where one of my coworkers was staying.

Wednesday night I went to Macobserver's Cirque Du Mac at the Red Devil Lounge for a bit. Then I went out with friends down at the Wharf and later back to Jillian's before taking the BART back (and finding a woman that had been mugged at the Union City BART station).

More parties on Thursday night (think it was Mac Managers and 2 other ones that night).

Friday was freaks and weirdos day. It seems they let in all the crazy people in the city that day. People asking you the strangest and unrelated questions, people trying to use your demo machines to surf the web and not stopping when you asked them to, etc. We tore down early and then headed over to The Thirsty Bear for a couple pints while we waiting for friends. Then it was off to some killer seafood place in Berkeley.

Saturday my boss and I packed up the kayaks and headed down to Monterey Bay. It was fun and relaxing (his kayaks have outriggers and a sail plus they have foot pedals that allow you to get really cruising, you only really use the paddle when you dock it). Headed back to his place and drank into the night.

Sunday we had breakfast at my boss' place and a couple friends from DC stopped by. I headed out with them to the airport where we rented a Mustang and headed to Haight-Ashbury. Amoeba Records is always sweet. Then to Berkeley when my friend learned that the Fat Slice in Haight-Ashbury had closed. They took off for the airport and I hit up 2 brewpubs in Berkeley before catching the BART back to my hotel. Next morning I flew home.

Hardly took any pictures at the show this year as it was much the same as last year and I have hundreds from then.

Waiting in traffic to get to the Moscone one morning.
    [​IMG]

My favorite place to grab a pint and some lunch while working the show (right across the street from the Moscone).
    [​IMG]

Parking in the ramp. Yeah Land Rovers are really compact.
    [​IMG]

Entering the Moscone.
    [​IMG]

More signage.
    [​IMG]

The stuff I ended up bringing back. Brenthaven backpack is awesome, I HIGHLY recommend them. Needed another hard drive case (2 x 1TB drives we grabbed are being shipped to me along with my SATA card and enclosure), 7-port USB hub, ExpressCard flash card reader, lots of screen cleaners they hand out (no reason to buy them if you can get a bunch of them at the show each year), laptop wrist wrest cover, Invisible Shield for my iPhone, iJack for the iPhone (microphone that allows you to plug in your own headphones), one of a bunch of laptop sleeves that we got at the CNET party, new MacBook Pro, beer can cooler, some random software (other software not shown but I got Office 2008 and some other crap), Gelaskins for my iPhone and one for the new iPod Classic both limited edition Macworld 2008 that were given to speakers (I don't have any use for the iPod one so I may give it away to someone on here that has a new iPod Classic). Beer I brought back isn't shown either.

[​IMG]

Cliffs: Went to Macworld. Had fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008
  2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Gelaskins

[​IMG]

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

specs on the mbp? :h5:

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It's one of the original MBPs that I'll be using for traveling and testing. 2.16GHz with 2GB RAM. Getting a brand new one at the next show. Apple gives stupid discounts for trade shows so you're showing their newest stuff. 15" MBP is only $1800, 24" iMac is $1400, etc... (you can get one machine for every 10'x10' space you have and must keep the machine for a year before selling it along with a number of other requirements but it's still a killer deal).

5. fatass

fatass New Member

So some of the stuff you bought, some was free?

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Freebies were the screen wipes and beer can cooler. I bought the iPhone Invisible Shield. Everything else my company bought for me including everything on my trip (hotel, flight, food, drinks).

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Friend at Ambrosia gave me a WireTap Studio pin that says "I'd tap that!" Heh.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i need to get a job at theweasel's company

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I think it's the best job around.