Persona 1,2,3 & 4 Croo v. Wanna talk about these fucking awesome JRPGS?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by EscapingJail, Nov 12, 2009.

1. EscapingJail

EscapingJail Playing To Win

Games:
    [​IMG]

Persona 4 Story:
    In the rural town of Inaba, mysterious murders have been taking place whenever there was fog after heavy rain. There were also rumors about a channel on television airing only at midnight called the Midnight Channel, during which it is said that you can see your soulmate when staring at a turned off TV screen at midnight when it rains. After hearing about a recent unsolved murder which occurred during the fog, the protagonist, Chie Satonaka, and Yosuke Hanamura discuss how each of them had attempted to watch the Midnight Channel and witnessed the murder victim. They later realize that their bodies can phase into the television set as a gateway to enter another world infested with Shadows. Thus begins an adventure to discover the connection between the Midnight Channel and the murders and kidnappings around town.

[​IMG]

Persona 3 Story:
    Persona 3 begins with the main character transferring to Gekkoukan High School, and moving into a dorm in the city.[4] After learning of his ability to summon a Persona, he is asked to join SEES, and is eventually elected its leader in combat. The group gains more members over time, all students attending Gekkoukan: Junpei, who had only recently discovered his ability to summon a Persona; Akihiko, whose arm injury prevented him from fighting; and Fuuka, who replaces Mitsuru as the team's support member. After awakening to his Persona ability, the Protagonist is transported to the Velvet Room, which its proprietor, Igor, says is a realm between "dream and reality".[14] Igor explains to him that his Persona ability is special: he is the only member of SEES capable of wielding multiple Personas in battle.[15] In-game, the Velvet Room is where the player may fuse two or more Personas to create a new one. Igor also encourages the Protagonist to meet people and form bonds with them, known as Social Links. According to Igor, the power of his Social Links will determine his potential in combat.[16]

EDIT: I'll update the other two soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Persona 2 refers to the collective second installment in the Persona series. It consists of two parts: Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, which take place in that order. In Eternal Punishment, none of the characters can remember the events of Innocent Sin. Persona 2 can also refer to one or the other of the two parts.

[​IMG]

Persona centers around the protagonist and his classmates at St. Hermelin High School in Mikage-cho. Hidehiko Uesugi talks all of his friends into playing a game called "Persona", which is played much like the ritual game "Bloody Mary". While playing, the students lose consciousness and meet Philemon, who gives them the ability to summon reflections of their personalities, which are known as Personae.
    A short time later, the protagonist and several of his friends go to visit Maki Sonomura, who is ill and bed-ridden. During their visit, they discover that the town is changing and demons are roaming the streets.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. EscapingJail

But yeah it's beennnnnn a long fucking time since I've had a series fucking hook me. I've beat Persona 4 (with the best ending) and am currently playing through Person 3 FES.

Anybody feel like talking about/playing these games?

3. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i have never played any of these but my buddy almost jizz's everytime we talk about them.. been meaning to try it. hows the PSP "Shin Guard aTomTom": Persona? or whatever, heard its a remake?

:hsughno:

4. EscapingJail

They are all called Shin Megami Tensei: Persona etc...

I've played a bit of the PSP one but it's much harder to get into because of the aging difference.

If I were you, I would pick up either Persona 3 FES or Persona 4.

None of the games really intertwine in any big way, But those two games really hit the right "fun" formula per se.

Persona 3 is a bit more open early on, where as Persona 4 is a bit more structured. I like Persona 4 more because of the characters/voice actors... But i'm kinda biased since I havent beat 3 yet.

I did put like 5 hours into persona 3 last night though. :hsugh:

5. EscapingJail

It fucking took me 100 hours to beat persona 4 :rofl:

6. Fareo

Fareo New Member

is there gonna be a persona 5 on the ps3? :dunno:

7. EscapingJail

Hopefully, right now they are Remaking Persona 3 for the THIRD time :rofl:

For the PSP called Persona 3 Portable. And has a new choose-able Female Main character.

8. henroid

henroid dayum

I haven't beaten Persona 3 yet but so far it's been fucking great

battle system is kinda cool but I will say one thing though, it's possible to get hit with a few spells and have the game end. whenever you hit somebody (or if somebody hits you) with a spell opposite of their natural affinity, they get stunned for a turn and the person casting the spell gets another one. so it's possible to get locked down and get raped but you can do that to the enemies in game too so I guess it balances out. You also can't control your other party members in combat, at least not that I've found. I wanna micromanage them more but I can't :hs: that's just Persona 3 though, and those are my only 2 major gripes really

9. Fareo

Fareo New Member

im not in any hurry to play these, should i wait for P3 PSP? i seem to be attracted to RPG's on the PSP unless its over the top like Oblivion or FF13 :o

10. EscapingJail

You might as well if you have no PS2. But these games are REALLY long, I couldn't see myself playing this on the PSP for such a long time if I didn't already love the series.

11. EscapingJail

And I'm lucky that my PS3 is the original 60 gb with PS2 BC.

Technically you could emulate these game now that I think about it since there is a good working PS2 emulator.

12. EscapingJail

Persona 3 also has an Anime "Sequel"

Persona: Trinity Soul

13. Fareo

Fareo New Member

so how much of this game is high school drama? is it an epic crisis like FF games, where its like "hey heres some guy and... OH FFFFUUUUU THE WORLD IS FALLING APART!! SAVE IT!! :eek4:...:ugh:...im not strong enough:o..." or is it more like a high school anime drama with random battles? or am i way fucking off the mark of what to expect?

i just watched part of (from the background while i was playing dirt) my GF watching Peach Girl and.. fuck that shit, im sure thats nothing even close to this, but the seeing some of that and the lil plot outlines i know about this game are kinda scaring me.

:dunno:

14. Fareo

Fareo New Member

refurbished 60GB (i killed it :o) with a 320GB :cool:

15. Persona

Persona Eternal Punishment OT Supporter

1 and 2 were good

3 and 4 :hsugh:

16. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

were better.

17. EscapingJail

3 & 4 are just different. Persona 1's remake on the PSP is pretty good so far.

You gotta admit though, This series was kinda starting to lose stream before Persona 3 came out. Persona 3 & 4 brought a whole new group of people to the series.

18. Persona

Persona Eternal Punishment OT Supporter

like sf4 amirite

19. EscapingJail

The main premise of 3 & 4 are I need to balance my "Life" with saving the world.

Your "Life" would be Attending school, doing side quests, and completing Social links.

The Social Links give advantages when you try to fuse Persona's. Side quests can help with items, money, etc. But the main draw the the game is that you not some badass knight. Your just a normal dude that happened to be at the right place at the right time (Persona 4).

20. EscapingJail

lol. But this is an RPG not a competitive game.
    So atlus can take some liberties in making the game.

21. EscapingJail

updated first post

22. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I didn't know about the PSP remake - I'll check it out.

I played through Persona 2 as an eBoot awhile back...and I still have not picked up Persona 4, although I mean to. Persona 3 was the last game I actually bought, lol.

23. Strife

Strife Active Member

Persona 3: FES and 4 are still in my backlog :rofl:

I played Persona 2 a couple months ago when I was finishing up my PSX backlog. Now have about 11 games for PS2 to finish. Last game I finished was SMT: Nocturne which was awesome also, currently playing through Odin Sphere right now. <3 Atlus. I beat DDS1&2 about a year back as well. Then I got shit like FF12 (still sealed when I bought it the first week it came out...), Ar Tonelico 1/2, Devil Summoner 1/2, GTA: San Andreas.. and that's it for PS2. Then Demon Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, and MGS4 (after I replay 1-3) for PS3. I want to rent Uncharted 1&2 sometime as well when I get around to it..

Then of course there's Mass Effect and Dragon Age for PC I haven't played yet either. Not enough time these days... I'm pretty much like 1.5 years behind everything that comes out :rofl: Plus I play competitive TF2 which already takes up most of my free time...

PS3 60gb is fucking awesome for backlogs though, virtual memory cards are the shit.

24. EscapingJail

Just came out a week ago in japan should be out here in a few months.

25. EscapingJail

I feel ya bro with the competitive games. Takes so much time out out of the simple stuff.

Luckily I don't play anything team based. So I can take breaks from it.

But yeah persona games are time hogs.