Perplexing Problem v. Ram/Games

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Toology, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Toology

Toology New Member

So I just added 2x2gb sticks of the exact same brand as my 2x1gb sticks (all pc8500). Everything works perfect, except I have to force the specified 5-5-5-15 timings in bios. All 6gb are detected and everything is working great...

Now when i'm in games, anywhere from 15-30minutes in I get weird lockups where the screen freezes but sound continues, then the screen flashes to an all white screen, then sometimes it all comes back, or sometimes it just locks up totally.

I figure, it must be the ram since it is all I changed... well I cant get memtest86+ to burn to a blank dvd right to run that diagnostic, I wasted like 10 dvds trying to get it to work (dont have any blank cds atm). So I run windows memory diagnostic w/ windows7 and it all checks out fine. Then I run another memory test software that you don't have to run from dos and it tells me I have a problem. Each individual stick checks out with that same program though.

WTTTTFFFFF could this be? I even lowered timings to 5-7-7-20 to see if it was that, nope. Its not my video card overheating, not getting fragmentation on desktop and stuff, can tab out of the fucked game fine.

Could this be just enough extra voltage with all sticks in that at high use, its over stressing my PSU? I have a OCZ 450w with 1 hard drive, 1 dvdrw drive, and a Radeon 4850.

Computer works awesome and much faster with 6gb of ram instead of 2gb, and games are even better, but its unplayable with this freezing. I took out the old ram and ran some games on just the new and didnt seem to have the problem... its like I can run the 2x1gb by themselves or the 2x2gb by themselves but together, after about 20min in game, it fucks up? ALL g.skill pc8500 with same specified timings

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Remove the 2 x 1GB Ram cards
    If you want more Ram then purchase another (exact same) 2 x 2GB Ram cards.

Unless you are running a triple channel memory board (or actually either way really) Always run the exact same ram cards (speed; voltage; type; and size)
    As long as your board support it. You may also want to confirm your BIOS is updated.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds to me like the RAM can't actually handle the timings your forcing. Just because they're the same brand doesn't mean they work the same.

4. Toology

Toology New Member

I scaled it back to the default 5-7-7-20 and still happens though. Guess Ill just sell the 2x1gb sticks for like $40 and put it towards the same 2x2gb