TAT Permission for Tats

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by fearandloathinginGA, Jul 12, 2004.

1. fearandloathinginGA

fearandloathinginGA I love the little tacos. I love them good!

I am contemplating getting a back piece by a well known artist...alex grey.I was just wondering if anyone knew if you had to get permission from the artist before you can get the tat done.I have asked some friends and they all told me they did not think so but I just wanted to check to be sure.Any input would be great!!The back piece I want done by alex grey is called Gaia.You can find it under paintings and then progress of the soul.:bigok:

www.alexgrey.com

2. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I imagine it doesn't violate any copyright laws to reproduce an artists work on your body, being that you aren't selling the image, you know? Lots of people get work taken from art and don't have to ask permission.

if you feel you want to, go ahead, tho I don' think the artist will mind. i think having your work end up on someone's body permanently would bea huge honor (at least to me it is).

3. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

BTW that painting is beautiful. and I've seen some of grey's work reproduced in tattoos by the Kern Brothers.

4. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

A friend of mine had something similar done with one of his fav artists(can't remember the guys name though) He sent him an email and asked if it would be ok. The guy came back and said he was extremely flattered and wanted pictures of the tatto's when they were done....

5. phigity

phigity New Member

i'm pretty sure you don't need to get permission but it would be a cool idea to ask him.

6. tumultuous tumor

tumultuous tumor Single and loooooooooooonely.

In a way, the tattoo artist is making money off of recreating the tattoo. So, if anyone gets in trouble, it'll be him. But the chances of anything like that happening is almot nil.

7. fearandloathinginGA

I sent him an e-mail a few days ago so I hope to hear from him soon.Just something about his work.:bowdown: It's beautiful!! I hope to get it done soon but I need to check and see how much it will cost first. I imagine it will be a lot.Thanks for the input!When finished I will post pics for y'all:bigthumb:

8. MJG

MJG _

Keep us updated on this. That is a beautiful painting. :)

9. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

you live in GA?

Guy Aitchinson would be the perfect artist to tattoo that piece. he's in ATL area. but i hear he's difficult to get an appointment with.

10. fearandloathinginGA

Well I got an e-mail from someone close to alex grey the other day and here is what was said.....Hi Bryan ! Thanks for your kind message ! Alex allows his works to be used
    as tattoos , and asks only that you send us a picture of the work , along
    with the artist and collector information so that we may post it on the
    website. You can check it out now for some examples already ! Please let us
    know if we can help you with anything else.

Peace,

Holly Lane
    Alex Grey Studio

So I got the go ahead which makes me happy and whenever I get it done....prolly in a few years:wtc: .....I will be showing it off.....where are the Kern brothers located because I saw a pic on alex grey's website of the kern brothers doing some of his work.....I can't wait till I can get the tat:bigthumb: and btw I am a lil south of tampa for the summer but will be back in lawrenceville...east Atl....in september because that is home and I will look him up fo sure

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  11. MJG

MJG _

How large are you looking to getthe tattoo? That is a very complicated picture.

12. fearandloathinginGA

I would like to get either 3/4 back piece of full back.That is the only way I feel the picture will get justice.I know it is very complex and I want someone who can do and do it right.I know it will be a few years before I can get it done because I know it will be atleast a few g's but I love what that pic represents and in a way that is something I strongly believe in :bigthumb: