Period while on pill???

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Nikolette, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Nikolette

Nikolette New Member

I've been on birth control pills for about 4 years now...first 2 were Ortho Tri-cyclen then the last two they switched me over to the Ortho Tri-cyclen lo.

Since Ive been taking them for so long, I know my cycles very well and have always gotten my period on wed of my placebo. Regardless if I ever skipped a pill, I never experianced break through bleeding.

I still have a week left until my placebos and noticed some spotting today with cramping. Im confused and worried because Ive been on the pill for so long now and have never experianced this before.

I know some people "spot" however I have never. Is there any chance I may be pregnant??? God I hope not! If anyone knows, please respond! Thanx!

2. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Sometimes when your body has been receiving the same hormones for an extended period of time, you can spot. Go to your GYNO, they will most likely put you on a different pill. Soemthing as simple as a 10 pound weight gain/loss can require a change in BC to best work with your body. You are still protected from pregnancy even though you are spotting, as long as you continue to take the pill as you normally would.

3. Peeps

Peeps New Member

Beings how you were switched to a pill with lower hormones there is a good chance that your cycle is going to change. If you are still worried about it I would go see the doc just to make sure that nothing is wrong.

4. lauren

lauren Active Member

have you been sick/stressed/wieght flucate/antibiotics? ive been on the pill for 3 years, and sometimes if i have a system overload i get breakthrough bleeding.

if you are concered, see the doc.

5. Nikolette

Nikolette New Member

i have been super stressed this whole year, but this is the first break through...its not really bleeding, just spotting and minor cramping thats gone now...only spotting now like towards the end of my cycle.

6. Nikolette

Nikolette New Member

Ok, I am really worried now...its getting heavy and mucus like..sorry to be gross...I called a gyno but the earliest I can go is tuesday. I feel really sick...tired and light headed all the time, crampy and have no energy...anyone ever have this??

7. Big Red

Big Red New Member

if there any like chunks and if it is a dark red color there is a possibility you did get pregnant, adn could be having a miscarriage.

8. Nikolette

Nikolette New Member

OMG..thats what is seems like !

9. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

see the gyno on tuesday, he'll give you a MUCH better idea of what's going on than OT :)

10. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

This is also something you'll see with an ordinary period from some people, especially while on the pill. It's just blood that has started to clot before it was expelled. All signs/symptoms point to just an average period on the pill. Honestly, that's all I think it is; just a full period with blood that has already started to clot before being expelled. We don't even know if she has had unprotected sex at all; kind of hard to have a miscarriage if you were never pregnant in the first place.

11. Nikolette

Nikolette New Member

Ok, so I saw the gyno today...he thinks its because my birth control pill has a low dosage which is prone to break through bleeding anyway. I was concerned since Ive been on this pill for 2 years and never experianced anyting until now...He assured me it happens sometimes but said to call him later this week bc I should get my REAL period and see if Im ok. If I dont get it or its irregular i need to take a preg test. Im supposed to get the real one tomorrow...so im keeping my fingers crossed!