MIL Perhaps the Marine Corps is playing against me to get a job.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Insdav3, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I honestly do not know why I cannot get a shitty part-time job.

Thank you for applying for the position of Server- Room Service Part-Time-246-9D-14-04. After careful consideration of your application, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for this position.

:greddy:

I even applied at TARGET for a box-kicker job unloading trucks. Something that a 16 year old can do. I've contacted them 3 times and I have still not heard back from them. It even had a sticker on the computer board saying they were hiring for that position.

:rl:

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

no shit. don't put down your military info if you're looking for a shitty part time job. it's a liability.

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

And here I thought it would be something to hold me over the compeition. :uh:
    A liability towards what?

4. kidhero

reserve and national guard are keywords for: liable to leave at any time and require us to hire a temp or replacement while not firing him in fear of being sued while he's on deployment.

marine is keyword for: abrasive in dealing with co-workers/civilians

army is keyword for: lacks motivation

navy is keyword for: gay

air force is keyword for: pussyass

on top of the fact most MOS hardly translates to real world skills it's no point putting it on your resume. just say you went to school during that time that you were in boot camp.

the only times you put in your military info is when you're trying to get a white collared job that wants people with leadership skills and able to cope with stress.

right after i got home i worked at a shitty grocery store for awhile to get back on my feet and i never once mentioned my military info. i just didn't want to bother with explaining shit to both my boss or my co-workers. what i do on my weekends is my business. but my college entrance essay and my computer tech job i emphasized my military experience

5. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I see what you're saying. It's ashame though. :sad2:
    Time to find some balls and get off this damn computer before it kills me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I don't know what kind of job you are looking for, but try with Home Depot.
    http://careers.homedepot.com/military
    They love military people, I've been with them for almost two years now. I'm actually on military leave of absence right now because I had been recalled to active duty and I'm still accrueing seniority, vacation, and sick time. They also pay the difference between your military base pay and what you make there if you get deployed.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

Damn, is junior enlisted pay really THAT bad that you need a second part-time job? Is it common for junior enlisted Marines to have a part time job on the side?

8. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I'm a reservist.

9. kidhero

you won't have time to moonlight when you're active duty unless you're NCO with a permanent base assignment. a couple of the corporals at lejeune were bouncers at the 50000 strip clubs around. one sergeant was a taxi cab driver. but other than that you really don't get a chance to leave or have a job, so don't worry about it.

E3 stateside in barracks with chow hall privledges, expect $500 after deducations every two weeks. you will have about $2,000 saved up from boot camp depending on how you saved and maybe 500 dollars in your thrift savings account if you signed up for it during boot camp (do the max 9% option). i personally made it my mission not to spend any of my money on supplies during boot camp because i'm a packrat. i kept all my shit, hoarded the useful shit, and kept track of where my shit is. the squad leaders started shit with me because i had 4 broken moonbeams in my footlocker.

10. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

I work as an asst. manager at target...call the store and ask them to check the status of your application.

And being military doesnt hurt your chances at Target at least, we have a few Marines and a former manager is Navy reserve :o

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I used to know a guy in the barracks like that. This guy had crap stuffed into every single nook and cranney in his room. He even had persian rugs under and between his mattresses! OCD x11tyBrazillian.

12. kidhero

every shit i have is useful. i didn't have like 50 toothbrushes or something. i had boot laces when people asked. i had batteries when people needed it. i had needles when someone needed some shit patched. i had recruit tape because i never wasted it. i don't lose my gear; i'm just ready.

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

you're a packrat, thats for sure, but at the same time, you're less likely to be caught without a needed piece of equipment...... if you can find it

14. eter

eter New Member

i :love:kit sluts .. this dude i knew must have packed over 15 pounds of stuff no one else had just cause he had to have everything.. got teased some but i have to admit a lot of the crap he had helped some out at one point or another

15. Darky

Darky New Member

I applied at Best Buy just after getting out of the Marine Corps and it helped me...Showed that I had some experience and maturity. I emphasized my time in and they pretty told me I had the job even though he still had more interviews he had to do. Applied at Lowes too because I needed more hours (am now full-time so I don't need that job anymore) and they called me back and were all about trying to hire me. They asked on the app if there was any other experience or job skills I thought may help and I said just got out of the Marine Corps. If someone decides not to hire you because you're in the reserves, that's just as illegal as firing you for getting recalled.

It was pretty common for E3s and below to go get extra jobs. I don't think it was because they needed it so much as they sucked with money and blew it on stupid stuff. I knew a guy in the barracks with 2 cars and a motorcycle. Its kinda stupid to me but if you can afford it, more power to ya! Just don't expect me to feel too much sympathy when you run out of money and can't afford gas to go out the parties...

16. evan2

evan2 Guest

lol if they dont hire you because you are a reservist that is very wrong, i think they have to
    just like they cant fire you because you have to go server your country, ask them the exact reason you arent getting these jobs

lol af pussyass.. i forgot you have to be a hardass to work at target or a server room.. AF has the most jobs with real world skills my man... we own