Performance Ratings

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by canadam, Feb 1, 2004.

1. canadam

canadam Guest

I've noticed on some peoples' desktops they have some numbers that appear to be rating their computers' performances. I'd search for a link to download, but I have no idea what they're called. Where can I get one ?

Also, my computer is fairly new, however I don't feel like its working as well as it should. I run spyware detection programs often, have a good virus protection program (I think Norton Internet Security should do the job), and I really don't have much stored on it. I try and keep all my files to a minimum, mostly for backup reasons. I'm running 2 user accounts, one for my girlfriend, and one for myself. It seems when either of us log in it takes for the computer to be ready to go - a minute maybe ?

My stats are:
    2.50 GHz Pentium 4
    256 MB DDR PC2700 SDram
    80 GB Hard Drive

Apparently I've used 14.2 of almost 70 GB on my Local Drive, 5 more GB are partitioned to a recovery drive (where did the other 5 GB go ?!). Just over 7 GB's I know are music/pictures/school work, etc. I'm not sure I have 7 GB in programs on here - on my old 500mHz we only had a 13 GB hard drive and if it ever came close to being half full, it was due to music.

Any Ideas ?

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

3. canadam

canadam Guest

I appreciate the response. However, as I said before, I'm kind of unsure what exactly I'm even looking for. If I get one of the "performance monitoring" programs (for lack of a better term). Will this help me with my problem by telling me if somethings performing under par ?

4. shastaisforwinners

sorry man, I misunderstood your question. How it is worded made me think that paragraph one was one question, then paragraph two was a separate question

5. canadam

canadam Guest

Basically, I was thinking if I had one of these desktop monitoring things, it would help me know if my computer is running slow - or if it's just my imagination. Then I can troubleshoot from there I suppose.

6. canadam

canadam Guest

Also, if I have more than one program running at once - nothing major either.

The thing is EXTREMELY slow, and programs tend not to respond

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If it's running slow already, a monitoring program will only slow it down further. What OS are you running?

8. canadam

canadam Guest

Windows XP Home Edition, the computer was brand new at Christmas

9. shastaisforwinners

restart in safe mode and see if it runs quicker

also, turn off all the xp eyecandy bullshit - all it does is slow you down
    right-click my computer -> properties -> advanced -> performance -> set for best performance

also you can turn off unneeded programs at start
    start -> run -> type "msconfig" -> startup tab -> uncheck everything but norton

10. Penguin Man

On that machine, the eyecandy shouldn't be slowing it down a huge amount. Pull up the task manager and see if there's an unusual number of tasks going on at once. Also check how much of your CPU and RAM are being used at idle.

11. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

If you got it from a big name brand (HP, Dell, etc.) then it comes pre-loaded with crap. I reccommend getting a copy of the regular Windows XP Home Edition and do a complete reformat without all of the extra crap. You will still be able to use the key-code you already bought, so you don't have to buy the CD, just borrow it.

12. canadam

canadam Guest

I appreciate your guys' time.

I have a hard time believing that this "eyecandy" or the preloaded programs on my Medion computer are slowing it down this much. What's the point of having an 80gig harddrive if you can't use it? This computer should be way faster than the PII 500mHz - shouldn't it?! Perhaps doubling my RAM would help me out a bit?

Below are some screen shots of my running processes and running programs. I'm not sure what is considered out of the ordinary - could someone give me some insight?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was faily accurate on my guess of how long my PC takes to boot up:
    0 secs: Click LOG IN
    10 secs: Background Loads
    30 secs: MSN Messanger Loads
    40 secs: Norton Security Enables
    59 secs: Microsoft Reminders show (I'm not starting to use the calendar in my Outlook instead of MS Calendar -- I don't like MS Works at all !)

Does this seem normal ?

Thanks for any more help !!!

13. Penguin Man

The RAM and CPU usage don't seem unusual at all.

14. canadam

canadam Guest

Which of those proccesses/programs can I turn off safely ?

15. canadam

canadam Guest

No more ideas?

16. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

hola. you have twice as many processes running as me.

17. shastaisforwinners

I said that eyecandy features can slow you down - I never said that they were the cause of this problem. I recommended turning them off so that you can establish a baseline of performance.

I'm assuming you have onboard video based on the total physical mem number - I would recommend doubling you ram. You are using 215MB (physical and virtual) right now, so you don't have a ton of memory to spare. Is this why your computer is running slow? It can be part of the problem - that number is a bit high for the amount of actual applications you are using.

I would recommend backing up your files, then reinstalling the OS from scratch. This way, you know that you have a clean slate to start from. If the computer is still slow, maybe more memory is the way to go

btw - the amount of files on your hard drive has very little impact on your system's performance

18. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

I would definately reccomend bumping up the ram a little bit. If you go up to say, 512Mb, it should be like a whole new computer. It's really amazing what a difference more ram can mean.

19. canadam

canadam Guest

I turned off all the eyecandy, and it's still off, it was when I took those screen shots also.

Oh no ! That's a LOT of backing up to do--- soooooooo many MP3's.

Maybe I'll buy more RAM before I buy CDR's to back up all this junk :big grin:

I appreciate all the help.

20. shastaisforwinners

with an 80 gig hard drive, you don't really even have to back up your mp3's

partition the drive like this:

C: OS drive (maybe 10 - 20 gigs)
    D: media drive (rest of the drive)

once you do this, just move the mp3's (and other needed files) to the D: partition
    now, you are free to format the C: drive and reinstall the OS without having to backup anything

21. canadam

canadam Guest

hmmm... I don't know how to do this, I'm sure I could get some help (you, haha, just kidding). My hard drive is already partitioned into 2 parts, one called Local, and one as Recovery - I think this is where my HD stuff is right now.

I may use only one user account also - 2 seems just to be a pain in the ass.

I see there is a lot of different types of RAM, I'd like to spend about $100CDN, but from $65 - $110 I can find 128MB-512MB ?? Should I go big or go home ? What's the difference between Azen 512MB 184-Pin DDR Memory and Azen 512MB 333MHz DDR Memory for the same price ? ($110 CDN)

22. shastaisforwinners

In order to partition the drive, you should "aquire" a copy of Partition Magic. This will allow you to easily partition your existing drive into two separate ones. As far as I know, Windows won't allow you to do this in their disk management utility. Read the tutorial in partition magic, and go to town. It's very easy to do, just remember to not screw up the OS drive :)

As for RAM, I don't know what the difference between the two is (without more specs). I would guess that the first one is PC2100 (266Mhz), and the second one is PC2700 (333MHz - this is what you need). I don't know anything about Azen, so make sure it has a lifetime warranty if you get it. I would recommend brands such as Kingston, Corsair, Geil, OCZ, Mushkin, or even Crucial (though crucial isn't the best). For size, get at least a 256MB stick. This should allow you to do most things you would want to do without a problem. However, if you have the money, a stick of 512MB would rock. Remember, you can never have too much memory.

23. canadam

canadam Guest

Great ! I can get a 512 MB Stick of Kingston for cheap.

Thanks so much man.

24. shastaisforwinners

25. canadam

canadam Guest

Kingston 256MB 266MHz DDR Memory
    WebID: 10018803
    Mfr. Part Number: KVR266X64C25/256-CR
    Capacity 256MB
    Configuration 184 Pin
    Notebook or Desktop Memory Desktop
    PC or Mac Memory PC
    Speed 266 MHz
    Type DDR SDRAM
    Warranty Lifetime
    $99.99 CDN
    Good ?

Also, is there a way to "unpartition" my drive, so I can change the way it's setup (GB wise?)