GUN People with kids... Where/How do you keep your HD weapon?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by itchiban, Jan 30, 2006.

1. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I had my first kid almost 6 months ago now. I know hes gonna be crawling around soon and still to young to get into my guns, but I'm trying to figure out a plan before he gets to that age. I know that I was into my dads guns at around 5. That dumb ass kept them out (no safe) but never kept any ammo around.

Right now I use my XD9 SC as my HD weapon, mainly because my wife can handle it just as well as I can. That, and I havn't bought an AR or 870 yet :o . I just keep it bedside with an extra mag, loaded and holstered. Thats not gonna work when junior starts playing Grand Theft Auto VII.

What do you guys do? (assuming you're not all without child)I mean it is still for SHTF situations, I can't just keep it in a safe, and ask for a time out when BG's around.

2. CString

CString New Member

When I'm gone: the gun is with me
    When I'm home and awake: on top of the 2nd shelf of the computer desk
    When I'm home and asleep: on my nightstand

My son is almost 10 months old. He'd have to grow another 2 ft. to get it off the shelf of the computer desk, so no problem there. If I'm asleep then he's asleep, so no problem there either.

3. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

until he sneaks into your room one night, takes the gun and wastes the monster in his closet :mamoru:

4. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

:rofl:

poor michael jackson.

5. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

6. CString

CString New Member

if he could crawl over the side of his crib he would be a badass. the rail comes up to his neck when he's standin up :noes:

7. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

keep the gun on the stand and keep the mag in the drawer, he probably wouldnt be able to put one and 2 together untill he gets older at which point you would have taught him proper gun safety

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Right now I have a 2.5yo toddler and I own 2 guns down from 3 and planning on buying an AK later this year.

I do this.

XD40 in a Mossberg Quickaccess pistol safe in my nightstand, 4 digit code and the top is springloaded.

AR15 has a cable lock though the action out the magwell and is locked on the top shelf of my closet, mags not in gun and arent loaded anyway.

When I get my AK I will probably do the cable lock deal again, I feel this gives me the best combination of my kid finding my gun, which she wont find them anyway, but they are still accessable if I need them

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

My dad used to keep his guns in an unlocked closet (well, it was locked around Christmas, my brother's birthday, and my birthday, since that's where they hid the presents). When I was 11 or so, he got a safe, just for legal purposes, he put it in the room the guns were originally stored. He kept the key right on top of his desk, and he knew that I knew it was there too. Now, about half the guns are in the safe, the other half are in the same closet as the safe, in cases, with trigger locks on them. We both know the combinations. We keep a loaded mag in the case with the Sig, there's 3 rounds of buckshot in the shell-holders (I should probably put some more in there) with the 870, and a loaded 40 round mag in a box next to the AK.

The most important thing is teaching them how to safely handle guns. My dad, my brother and I would shoot cans with the BB gun almost every day since I was 3. He showed us his Remington 700 and Winchester .22, when I was 4 or 5, showed us how it worked, how to safely handle it, etc (which he had already done with the BB gun anyway.)

As soon as your kid can understand what you're saying, teach him about gun safety.

10. mrbill

mrbill New Member

since i don't have kids myself, i'll just relate what my parents did. all weapons except hd weapon kept unloaded w/ammo in different room. hd weapon kept in nightstand. growing up, i knew where all the guns were, but i knew damn well if i touched em w/o my parents around it was my ass. if your child is young enough not to know better, they shouldn't be alone in the first place.

11. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

just get a gun cabinet (locking metal). I have a stack on because my dad (i dont have kids, and im 19 and like with my parents) wanted my guns more secure then the locking travel cases i had them in. 139 bucks for an 8 gun locking cabinet that is screwed into the wall. THey are full steel (albeit thin steel) and good for keeping kids and stupid people out, but wont do much in the way of determined theif protection.

12. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I think it's cabela's that has a spring loaded gun safe that goes off your thumbprint, not as expensive as it sounds either.

13. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Wow that would be neat. I'll check into that.

I know I have to teach him gun safty when he gets that age. But kids will be kids. I'm buying a safe after I buy a few more guns to go in it :wiggle: I'm just concerned with the SHTF gun, that won't be locked up.

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Same here I was taught saftey at an early age and never fucked with them, I was taught better and I knew I'de catch a beating if I did mess with them with out him present :o

15. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

16. CString

CString New Member

the woman keeps telling me that she doesn't want our son to even know that i have guns until he's like a teenager. i told her that's stupid. while he's this young he's not even interested in anything that doesn't have lights and play music. but when he gets a little older he's gonna snoop around the house a lot. i think it would better to introduce him to gun safety when he's younger rather than have him find one in the closet when he's 5 years old and play with it b/c he has no idea what it is or what it can do.

17. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

accidental shootings are done by kids who arent educated on what a gun is.

18. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

under my kid's bed

19. san408

san408 New Member

My 10 yr old shoots w/ me and has her own 10/22. She has friends that shoot with their dads also, some she won't shoot with because they "don't do everything right".

The 2 1/2 yr old already knows what a gun is and knows not to touch. I work with her all the time. She recognizes ammo is for my gun(s) and not to touch that either.

Education is the best (hell, only) weapon in the war w/ ignorance.

I keep my Firestar in my bed (stuck between mattress and box spring) loaded w/o a chambered round. Neither of my girls are strong enough to cycle it, and I honestly don't worry about the 10 yr old anyway.

20. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Anyone with kids should at least lock them away even if your kids know about guns. Why? because while you may teach your kids, their friends might not be so fortunate. All it takes is one kid to be playing hide and seek at your place to find it and you will never be owning a gun again, and most likely anything else after the lawsuits from other parents take everything you own. $100 dollar spring safe or 300 bucks for a biometric safe is basically an insurance policy from something bad possibly happening.

21. san408

san408 New Member

Well, I was only accounting for my children, as I assumed that's all we were talking about. When the kids have company the pistol goes into my gun cabinet w/everything else, which I installed into a closet like alot of people. I also put my dogs up. I have an American Pit Bill Terrier and she is completely sociallized, but I respect other peoples right to their opinion and she either goes outside or into her kennel.

I DO NOT trust the little kiddies that make into my house that don't belong to me. I agree 100% with you, I just wasn't going that far with it (and neither did anyone else). :bigthumb:

Heck, one of my oldest friends in the world (we go back to kindergarten) has a daughter that's nine. He is a huge gun guy, and we do a ton of hunting together. We took our daughters and the 10/22s out for some frogs once and Meckenzie won't go back out with them because no matter how hard he tries his daughter just can't (won't) learn the 4 rules and abide by them.