people with cs degrees and not so great gpa

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Apr 8, 2006.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

I know there are some people on here who graduated with cs degree but didnt have a great gpa. I am wondering if you guys put your gpa on your resume and also how did the gpa affect your job seeking etc? (especially if you didnt have a lot of experience)

2. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

my gpa sucked so of course i didn't put it on my resume, when i was looking for jobs i applied probably hundreds of places and only one company asked for my GPA....but anyway i've gotten 2 jobs fine without put it on my resume...Dell and Country Wide

3. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I had to turn in my transcript with most of the jobs I applied to, and my GPA was a 2.043 :o

I was still offered 3 jobs, but that is because I had about 5 years of relevant student worker and contract experience

4. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

only one company asked for gpa? wow
    did other companies ask for a transcript or anything?

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

never asked for my gpa, never asked for a transcript, never called my references.

but then that was cause i knew everyone where i was applying.

6. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

If you figured out how to do homework in the 2nd half of your undergraduate college career and have a better 'major gpa' - just put that one on your resume. My overall gradepoint is about .7 lower than my major gpa, so I just leave the overall one off. Title it accordingly though, otherwise the company may frown when they see your overall gpa.

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

nobody cares about gpa.... unless you apply at some place like google or microsoft

8. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Told Microsoft my GPA at a job fair. Still got an interview. Doing well in the interview was a different story.

Same job fair, told Chick-fil-a IT guy my GPA and he handed me back my resume on the spot. Told me they had a minimum 3.5...just to do server admin work. Maybe that's why no one was talking to them.

Most of the companies I interviewed asked since I didn't have it on my resume...just have to suck it up and tell them.

9. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

IBM was the only ones who asked me

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

:rofl: wtf. Chic-fil-a is shooting for really high standards, lol

11. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I beleive i had my 'major gpa' on there at one point... it read "3.2 GPA within major"

I feel that is clear enough for them to understand this is not my overall GPA.

12. leakin

leakin New Member

My GPA wasn't wonderful either, so I am currently in law school. Science/Engineers > standardized testing. So some type of grad school may be an option if you feel cornered. I also will agree with everyone else that most places won't require seeing your GPA, and if it is not good then only give it to them if they ask. Good luck!

13. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

dont you need good grades to get into grad or law school?

14. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

anyone have anymore experiences to share?

15. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I said I graduated with an A average from college on my resume...and I kind of did

it was a 2 year program, I maintained a D average, except for the last semester I got an A (a+ networking, a- project course)...so technically I didnt lie :eek3:

no one asked for GPA, or transcript, I have been asked for a reference, which I provided

16. samm

samm Next in Line

you'll need decent grades, a good GRE score, and a willing advisor to get into grad school. To finish grad school you'll need a lot of motivation :)

17. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

We require transcripts from our entry-level hires with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. If you're experienced I don't believe it's as much of an issue.

//Mine was really high - still didn't put it on my resume

18. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

Companies that say you have to have a certain GPA like 3.5 etc. Odds are they are companies you wouldn't like working at either.

19. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i had a 2.5 and got a great first job and a better second job. i'll prob go back to the first company in a year when i move because my old boss loves me.

if you know your shit, you will get a good job. period.

20. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

there are so many fucktards out there with nice grades that don't know shit.

knowing your shit > gpa. anyone can do good in theater arts.

21. chips

chips ...

:werd: Im 19, with 4 allmost 5 years dealing with windows networks/server. and I make really decent money.. but no extra school.. Just hope HR isnt doing the interview if the IT manager is doing the interview you should be good..as long as you know you crap

22. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:ugh2: There are a 111ty billion things that can make a company (or department) a shitty place to work. A GPA requirement is hardly one of them.

23. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Any large company is going to have at least one of your interviews with someone from HR. It's just the way it is. If a candidate can't get through an interview with someone who isn't a techie, they might be not be a good fit for that organization.

Honestly, my personal belief is that you want to hire someone who can read, write, and work effectively on a team. Assuming they made it somewhat competently through a technical program at school (or have good experience somewhere) you can teach them anything else they need to know. When I was interviewing my last year in school, some of the companies had quizzes in the interview asking about things like encapsulation and relational DBs. Judging by the experiences of friends I know who work for those companies today - the behavioral interviews my company held seem to have been the better choice.

YMMV

24. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

eh depends.

i have had interviews at a few fortune 500 companies, never once talked to someone at HR. I interviewed directly with people i would be working under.

it all depends on the company and the position you are applying for. not having a college degree will be hard to get past the mindless HR drones.

25. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Yeah, I usually met directly with the hiring division. HR got involved when it came to the details of setting everything up the interview schedule and they shipped off my info to corporate HR for background info.