MIL People who've taken the DLAB, get in here.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hound of Winter, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Hound of Winter

Hound of Winter Active Member

I'm hopefully joining the Hawaii ANG here pretty soon as a Linguist (Korean) for a new mission they've apparently started over at Hickam AFB. I've been in contact with a recruiter and she's getting me setup for a date to do my medical & to take the ASVAB, I'm assuming the DLAB as well. Wanted to know if anyone has taken the DLAB and if they would share any advice on how I can prep for this thing, or if I should even be worried about preparing for it.

Sorry if there's already info on this, but I searched and didn't find anything. :o

edit: I already speak Japanese with what I guess you could call a practical fluency, but I don't know if that will help me any with the test.

2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

You can't prep for it. The DLAB isn't an actual language, and being bi or multi-lingual won't help. Just go in and do what you can. You'll understand what I'm talking about once the test starts.

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Some people just have a nack for learning new languages and understanding them.. if that is you, you will do fine. It is meant to separate those who have the ability to comprehend something new, and those that cannot.

4. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

it tests how well you can learn a new language by teaching and testing you over a made up language. I didn't care to do well because I'm not interested in language so I got tired of trying and started guessing after awhile.

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I just copied off the guy next to me.. was 1 point away from the lowest tier. didn't really do it cause i wanted to go linguist, just did it to get out of work :)

6. Torzilla

Torzilla New Member

Agreed.. this isnt one you can study for. Just get a good nights sleep. And remember, its totally redoable. I took it twice, oddly enough, I scored better the first time. Looking back, I'm glad I never passed it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008