SRS People who think theyre perfect

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JakobwithaK, Jan 4, 2009.

1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

I cant stand em, period, end of story. My older brother is like this and it drives me nuts, in fact if Im out with him or have company over and he all of a sudden turns on his massive ego (which is very often) I just shy away and pretend as if I dont even know him. He thinks he knows everything in life - like electronics, tvs, cell phones, computers...like hes the ultimate gadget guru...when he doesnt know jack shit cause hes always asking me about them :rofl:

Like over Xmas we were at our sisters and her hubbys place and my bro in law got a new mouse for his laptop. Now he doesnt know much about computers and he knows that Im very tech savvy so he asked if I wouldnt mind setting it up for him (not that setting up a mouse is hard for anyone ha)...I said of course. So as im going about my biz opening the package and putting the batteries into the mouse...my bro walks in and what do you know.

Turns on his massive ego and insisted on taking control...asked what we were up to, then goes on about how we need to read the manual :rofl::ugh: I told him that you dont need to, and yet he kept implying that its a must. :ugh: A manual for a USB mouse? Gimme a break. :rolleyes: So of course while hes going out reading the manual step by step I just said whatever, chuckled and walked out of the room. 25mins later he was all done. :hsugh:

Seriously though, hes such a fuckin moron when it comes to tech stuff, he doesnt know shit about it yet he thinks hes a genius :rolleyes: Just like how he buys a 17'' laptop with a bluray drive, even though he doesnt care for either a big screen or movies on his laptop :rofl:

2. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

:rofl: I know just what you mean this kid I used to hang out with thought he knew everything then one time he was talking about getting a new radio with an aux port for his ipod he talked like he knew shit and I was like do you have a cassette player and he was like yeah and I :bowrofl: so your gonna spend 100s of dollars when you could just get an adapter he was like adapter?

3. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

:rofl: Trust me my bro is 1000x worse than that kid. I cant stand being around him when he doesnt have his ego in check. Try watching movies or even sports with him, hes always swearing and getting mad and saying "this is whats gonna happen...see I told you...watch...I knew it" :greddy:

4. 2500

2500 Guest

my boyfriends moms new husband is like this. Hes a crazy drunk, who everyone agrees with in hopes of having him leave them alone... except me, cuz i don't care for the fucker.

We've argued about..... Him selling a beat up old 1971 chevy truck for 20,000 dollars if he drops about 500 bucks into. We've argued about his 400 horsepower chevy mazda 2+2 2.1 liter V8 that did wheelies. We've argued about how second hand weed smoke CAN show on a drug screen. We've argued about pretty much everything revolving around money, cars, and life, and I'm always right because hes a fucking loser who thinks he knows everything. I hate him.

5. Joybang

Joybang New Member

I had a buddy come back in town over Thanksgiving and all it did was remind me how much of a douche he is. He moved half way across the country to a job that pays $40k a year and all of a sudden he thinks he's ballin outta control.

While he was here we went out to a few bars and at this one he just steps in front of this girl who was about to order and totally ignores her when she told him nicely that she was ordering. He comes back and says "Fuck her, I'm better than everyone in here anyway". :ugh: :rofl:

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You should ask yourself why you care so much.

7. roose

roose Guest

8. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

I actually DO know everything, so not seeming like I do is quite a challenge.

9. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

dont let it phase you. ignore it, they act that way for attention. you take that need away from them and they go to someone else to get it. i know people similar to this, and it took about 6 months of ignoring, but it worked really well. now they have someone else to feed off of i suppose, but not me. you can still talk to them like a normal human being, but just keep quiet when they get into know-it-all mode

10. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Jak, why do you let him take charge over you? Please do not take this as condescending because I do not mean it that way, but you are being way too beta around him. He walks on you and pushes you aside because you are so willing to let him. You're an easy doormat for his ego to step on.

I am not suggesting you need to stand up and pop him one in the jaw (although I am not against it either! :) ) but I definitely would not have handed him the mouse and walked away. You're teaching him that he can do this to you and thus he will. I think raising your voice slightly giving it some authority and saying, "I'll tell you what bro, if I can't get this working in 2 minutes you can show everyone how it is done, got it?" and hold his gaze with yours.

I'm just suggesting you show a little backbone. You're clearly frustrated with him and people who aren't in control of a situation tend to be the ones getting frustrated. Take a little control.

11. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

A few years ago (2004) I wrote this about arrogance on OT in response to another member:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

My cousin is the same way. He always has an opinion or expertise on everything. While he knows more than the average about a variety of things, I liken it to having a grade school vs college education. There is no real depth to his knowledge on any subject. We got into a huge argument over rock climbing. He uses logic and reasoning to form his ideas, but I'd been rock climbing about 10 times and knew what I was talking about while this was his first time and he thought he knew everything. Actually, the rest of my friends were being idiots as well, not wanting to pay for a class on safety because they claimed they knew what they were doing when in fact they hadn't a clue. The argument was whether or not our friends were belaying correctly. He said that they were and while technically right, it's an unsafe method for beginners to have your brake hand thumb facing down because this makes it easier for the rope to come out of your hand and also more difficult to brake. The method is used by some experienced climbers for comfort, speed, and flashiness. All I had to do was show him how an instructor was doing it correctly compared to our friends and then he believed me. :hsugh: That's probably our biggest argument. He doesn't typically argue with me when it's something that I know well, such as MMA. But he doesn't give most other people that honor so he tends to get on a lot of people's nerves.

Like Lao Tzu said, "Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know." :mamoru:

I just want to say though. Some people just communicate that way. When my cousin isn't arguing it's like he doesn't know how to socialize. Some use arguments and debates as a way to learn more from you. I mean your friend picked up the manual and read it, which I'd call admirable since few people want to read manuals. So it proves that he does want to learn something.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  13. adam725

adam725 New Member

i don't think so..

14. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The bottomline is: Don't let people walk over you. Its actually very easy to knock a guy like that down. Just ask him questions that he is not knowledgeable about, and then say' you see, you don't know', and then just give the answer to make him even more ashamed , then brush him away by saying, i'll do it right now.

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

That's not gonna work. Humiliating someone is really not the best answer even if the guy's a prick. He sure as hell isn't going to let it go.

16. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Someone recently accused me of being arrogant and a know it all. I know who I am, I know I'm full of flaws. I know I don't know much, but what I do know, I try to share with people to the best of my ability.

In AA, we learn what is called "Sharing ESH."

Experience
    Strength
    Hope.

I do that, and when I fail, I make amends. I do it here on the forum and I do it in my personal life. Sometimes it is my belief that when someone accuses you of something that you know isn't you, it's a wake up call that they need you, they need your kindness, they need you to listen, and to be patient.

I am not always "any" of those either. It is not easy, it really just isn't. If I "was" perfect, or "thought I was" -- it would be.

17. Battle Angel

Battle Angel New Member

eh my sister will act like she knows everything and its easier to just ignore her than try to call her out/argue

18. 2500

2500 Guest

OH PLEASE! :rofl: