People who swapped different engines to their car....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Kroze, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

i never understand how it works.

How do you get the tranny &shifter to match up exactly where the stock shifter of where the old engine/tranny is?

How do you get the drive shaft of the new engine to work with the differential (new one might be shorter/longer, how do yo uget it to fit?)

ECU?

2. Finest

Finest OG #93

If you have to ask, it's way over your head.

Mostly everything will have to be custom fabbed. You'll need a custom length driveshaft made, fab the front crossmember, make a new tunnel in the cab for the transmission, etc etc. The shifter usually ends up in the same spot (give or take a few), but it'll vary on the chassis and transmission used.

3. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

well i'm sure no one on earth born knowing how to do engine swap.

4. Finest

Finest OG #93

:rofl:

But you learn from experience. Either do it and fail. Or do it and fail, but do it again, but better.

Otherwise, that's what racing shops are for.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

What car are you even considering this for? PLEASE tell me it's not some piece of shit honda FWD vehicle.

As for the tranny & shifter, if you've ever installed a short-throw shifter then you'll know... Otherwise, it works like this... You bend (or custom-fab) a shifter with the right bends to work. As for tranny position, it really depends on the swap. For example, with the 350 swap I am planning for a Chevy Blazer I just picked up, the trans will bolt right up in the stock location.

As for driveshafts, it depends on the tranny. I'll keep my stock driveshaft. If your stocker won't work, then you might be able to pull another that'll work, or get a custom one. FWD vehicles are similar with their halfshafts. As for the differential, why are you swapping it? You shouldn't even have to worry about this.

6. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

depends on what car, and what engine

for most civics, its just a basic remove engine and tranny and put in the one you want

7. iNteGraz92

iNteGraz92 trolling apple sackriders is just too damn easy

of course it is, because honda is the only car company in the world that makes fwd cars. :ugh2:
    idiot

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

did I say they were... uh NO. so fuck off. But every-other dumb question I see regarding this crap is from someone that drives a piece of shit front wheel drive honda... Do they make non-POS cars? Yes. Do they make non-fwd cars? Yes. But I didn't say they did not...

9. solid snake

solid snake New Member

and the other half are sr20det / 20v 4ag related.
    :hsugh:

10. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

If you're talking about most modern imports, they swap in motors from the same manufacturers into different model cars. These are easy b/c the manufacturers make a general "platoform" and things from one car will fit nicely into other cars.

If you're talkin about droppin a 502 Merlin into a 69 VW Beetle or the likes ( :) ), then it involves a bunch of cutting, moving, fabbing, and welding. It's a bunch of speculating, measuring, moving, and trial and error.

11. SidewaysRB30DET

SidewaysRB30DET New Member

You do it to a Nissan, and it's like Lego..

Nissan Skyline GTR head, Nissan/Holden 3L Block, with a modified Nissan Skyline GTR gearbox, all in a 240sx.

[​IMG]