GUN People who carry one in the chamber

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Mar 29, 2008.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I currently am a wheel-gun guy at the moment, so this issue has never come up for me, though I may switch to an auto-loader at some point.

What do you do with the round in the chamber? Every time you clear the gun, cleaning ect, you have to chamber a round again. Chamber the same round a couple times and the bullet can get setback into the case, creating higher pressures ect. How many times do you chamber a round before you either junk it or fire it off at the range?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Twice. Although I don't clear the defensive guns out every time I put them away. I leave them loaded.

At a match when I clear after shooting a stage, that round goes into the top of the barney mag so that it is the one in the chamber for the next stage.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

pull the slide back
    manually put the round in
    hold the slide so it doesnt rack with full force
    put in the magazine

problem fixed

4. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

I did some testing with calipers one time with the gold dots in my gun and didn't notice a difference after being chambered several times :dunno:

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

You could do the same with cartridge gauge you use for reloading. You put your round in it, and see if the gauge is flush with the round inside it.

6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

:hsugh:

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

prove me wrong

8. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

50 chambers on ranger t's (.45+p) made no difference. Checked with a digital caliper.

9. johnson

johnson New Member

How do you get the slide to hold the cartridge to pull it back?

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

That is not good for the extractors on guns. They are not designed to spring around the shell casing, the casings are designed to be loaded from the mag behind the extractor before it goes into battery.

Continually doing that will significantly lower the life of your extractors.

Different weapons and different rounds will react different to re-chambering over and over again. Its good to test your weapon with the load you use and see what happens. If it shows no significant seating depth, dont worry about it. If it does show a change, then just work out some system that works for you to shoot that one off every now and then.

If its a defensive weapon, it shouldnt need to be unloaded and reloaded that often, just keep it in there all the time. If you do it when you go to the range, just leave it in there and shoot it off each time you go, not a big deal.

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

That method is tough on the extractor.

When I was dry-firing my carry gun a lot I just kept track of how many times the first round had been chamered, and would set it aside after half a dozen chamberings, and make sure it got shot at the next range trip. Now my carry gun is lucky if it leaves the holster more than once a month.

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

cant say i understand the question

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i not advocating doing this on an everyday basis. if someone is that worried about packing a round too tightly, and constantly has to reload it, then they shouldnt be doing it with their carry rounds anyway

14. sprite

sprite Active Member

no gym for home?

15. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I'll rechamber the same round 3 times. I keep a mag next to my safe that I use to load the +1 round, then load in a full mag. The chambered round goes into a foam tray and I rotate them in the my +1 mag. After 3 rechambers they go into the range pile.

16. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

If I clear the round out of the chamber, for whatever reason, it goes to the bottom of the magazine.
    Its a PITA, but necessary. No sense it reloading it back into the chamber constantly.

17. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

and it isn't guaranteed to seat the bullet correctly

18. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

After I eject a quality defensive round, it goes into a box bullet-up. I understand that almost any round is good for two to three chamberings, but I'm not sure I want to chance it and can't think of any simple way to track more than one trip through the chamber. I imagine that as soon as those box(es) get close to full, I'll go to the range and fire those rounds.

I don't worry about FMJ practice rounds. Those aren't going to be kept around for long enough to worry about being chambered more than once. If I eject a live round at the range, it's going to expended after the present cease-fire or next range trip.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have tested my federal defense rounds and even after a dozen re-chamberings they didn't shrink any measurable amount.

That being said, I still rotate them... Once I de-chamber a round, it goes into my "range" tray. Any carry ammo in the range tray gets shot first at my next trip to the range.

20. BigDadie

BigDadie New Member

Its rare for me to feel the need to chamber one but i do on occasion. That said Ill throw it with my practice rounds after 5 or 6 times. i was told it wont really matter unless you are talking 30-40 times but why would you do that? lol.

21. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

.40 S&W and .45ACP are supposed to be the most susceptible to the bullet telescoping into the casing.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a Glock 22 (.40 S&W) The reason I tested for this was the .40 S&W is noted as having this problem, and the problems that result from the high pressure has had very "public" coverage. However, I was unable to measure a difference using quality ammo.

I still exercise caution and rotate the rounds out... Because it's better to be safe than sorry.

But I was simply stating my observations on the subject.

23. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I rotate my ammo but I, too, have yet to notice a difference using a digital caliper. I lower the slide gently when chambering a round out of the mag, then eject the mag & top it off.