People wear glasses to improve vision (rant)

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Acciaio, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Acciaio

Acciaio New Member

Okay let's just clear things up here for a minute. If you see someone wearing glasses that is because he/she has less than 20/20 vision and wishes to improve their well being. When they put said glasses on their face, their ability to see objects clearly, improves.

What wearing glasses does not mean:

You spend all your time studying.
    You watch the SyFy channel.
    You have no friends.
    You have friends, but you just play D&D with them.
    You go to the comic book store more often than the grocery store.
    You're a virgin.
    You have no social skills.
    You have aids/h1n1 or some other contagious disease.

Case study: I wear prescription glasses and have since my sophomore year of highschool. My current pair aren't thick and black and hipster. Just normal glasses. It's pointless to talk about how people treat me when I wear glasses, SO:

Sometimes I wear contacts lenses. On the days I wear contacts, girls smile at me when I walk to class, flirt with me, act friendlier towards me, etc.

I'm not crazy. I know this happens to people other than myself. Here's just one of the many quotes I could use to reinforce my point:

I was walking to class....

Guy: Hey Jenn.
    Girl: uhhh.. Oh hi Greg! I didn't recognize you with your glasses. You Look Very Studious!

Cliffs: Glasses improve vision. Glasses don't reflect your personality.

2. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

I disagree.

..and studious doesn't have to be a bad thing.

3. korverftw

korverftw New Member

She was just being funny. Get over yourself.

4. 2397

2397 OT Supporter

Gosh. One time one of my guy friends met me and another friend at a bar to discuss something school-related (nerds). Well, he walked in behind me and did something to get my attention. He was wearing glasses (I'd never seen him in glasses before) and when I turned around, I didn't recognize him at first and stood there speechless because he looked so sexy.

5. giapia

giapia Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you re

i wear poser glasses :o they're like an accessory for me

6. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

I don't think anyone's every treated me differently because I wear glasses. Granted, I don't wear them all the time - just in class, watching TV, stuff at a distance.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

If you get that bad of a reaction from people, maybe you do need to look into different frames?

Just a thought....

8. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Um... are these people like 12??? Because generally I stopped hearing those stereotypes around that age, and those things certainly don't cross my mind when I see a man in glasses. I tell my SO all the time he needs to go get glasses because he's constantly complaining he can't see certain things.

Fuck, if anything, people compliment more more WHEN I wear my glasses. Not to mention I shop for glasses like I shop for shoes - and I wear my contacts 80% of the time...And, if a man can rock glasses and pull off sexy.. :drool:

But, I don't look at glasses or spend time thinking about them anymore than I would the color shirt he has on. People wear glasses to see, you are right. They wear hearing aids to hear, use canes to walk, and wear braces to fix their teeth. That's life. HOoray!

9. Kyoko

Kyoko New Member

What. The. Fuck. Dude.

Where the fuck do you live? New Jersey? Florida? PEOPLE STILL STEREOTYPE ABOUT GLASSES???!!!

Seriously.

10. Acciaio

Acciaio New Member

Well I know there are always exceptions. :)

Seattle, lol. And I go to Udub.... pretty lame, huh?

11. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I wasn't aware that people still stereotyped glasses. That's extremely lame.

That seems so elementary I don't even know where to start.

Personally, I like glasses. I don't wear them myself (never needed them) but I don't even notice it when other people wear them. A lot of jocks and very athletic people I know wear them.
    And I don't know why people take offense to being stereotyped as studious or dorky. Nothing says you can't have an active social life, get chicks, be smart, wear glasses.
    In fact, my ex often told me she wanted me to wear glasses, lol. Thought I looked sexy with glasses on.

As a matter of fact, I have a thing for girls who wear glasses. Cute girl wearing glasses = me very interested. Cute Asian girl wearing glasses = I'm in love.

12. giapia

giapia Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you re

four eyes! :mamoru:

13. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

Contacts > glasses anyway.

14. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

Honestly it sounds to me like you are putting too much weight on your glasses, not others. I know plenty of people who wear glasses and they aren't thought of as any of those things you listed.

15. john law

john law Guest

There is a reason why I almost never wear glasses, and I have 20/40.

I also don't like girls with glasses. I tell them I don't care about the makeup, or the clothes you wear...just don't wear the glasses, and put those contacts in.

I'll tell them they have a pretty face and glasses get in the way of me enjoying it. Haven't had a girl complain when I said that.

16. Reign

Reign Banned

I've been told my glasses make me look really cute. Too bad I fucking hate wearing them. And really, I only need them for driving at night... stupid 20/40 vision.

17. john law

john law Guest

Werd to all 3 of your points.

18. fray

fray New Member

Totally dependent on the frames. You've gotta get something flattering and modern. If not, of course people are gonna judge a little. It'd be like showing up in parachute pants and wondering why people don't think you're cool.

That said, some people don't look as good or feel as comfortable in glasses and some people just hate glasses on other people. Can't please everyone. But, are you sure you don't dislike them and you're not just projecting??

19. JBunni

JBunni New Member

I've felt this way at times. I had to wear glasses from kindergarten to my first year of high school. I felt like I had never really seen my face until then. And I wore my contacts everyday, and I had sort of a hate for my glasses. I felt people judged me, and a lot of old memories from elementary school were still there. But a few months ago, I ran out of my contacts and havnt had the money to buy more, so I've been wearing my glasses regularly, and I dont feel nearly as judged as I used to. I think it was my insecurity with myself that made me feel others were judging me. After a while, I got to the point where I realized I am who I am: glasses, contacts or whatever. And I try not to care how other people see me.

Maybe its your own perception or 'stereotyping' of glasses that makes you feel judged.

20. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

When guys wear the right frames I think they are super cute.

21. Rellik

Rellik New Member

if you're good looking you can get away with wearing glasses (thats when they say they "complement you") but if you're bad looking like me, they're only going to hinder you, imo... ditch em and get contacts or lasik if u can

22. Toxica

Toxica New Member

:werd:

23. THoC

THoC New Member

if you dont want negative reactions from people get new frames.

if you dont care about the neg reactions (of course you do or you would not have made this post) then ignore said comments.

a girl with glasses on is very cute to me.... if the frames look good.

24. Ago816

Ago816 New Member

I think you are over reacting....I wear glasses sometimes and I get compliments from people regularly saying how sexy they look. You need new frames.

25. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

used to rarely wear my glasses, only ritght before going to sleep or right after waking up. Been wearing them more and more to break off any dependence on contacts and have been getting complimented left and right. I've found myself actually preferring to wear my glasses sometimes and disappointed when I have to wear contacts.

a cute set of glasses on a girl are :drool: too.