SRS People that have quit antidepressents

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by delay pedal, Dec 2, 2007.

1. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

How long has it been? How are things now? Are you glad you quit?

I was on paxil for almost four years. I was prescribed them by my family doctor after complaining about anxiety issues that had popped up after quitting cigarettes. They got rid of my anxiety but turned me into a zombie that slept alot and felt nothing.

I finally decided to quit, weaned myself off, and then experienced a pretty intense year after quitting.

I now exercise regularly, eat healthy, and have really worked on controlling my thoughts, and trying to keep things simple. I feel back to normal and its great.

2. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I was on Effexor for a year and came off it. I don't think it did anything for me while I was on it besides kill my ability to cum from sex. I'm coming off of Lexapro right now after having been on it since April. It served its purposed for my OCD, but I think it has overstayed its welcome, as I've been feeling like a zombie for the past month or more, and still have had deep bouts of suicidal depression.

3. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

about 6 years, i feel better than ever. better everyday. i t was depressing to be on the drugs and coming off it instantly makes you feel better b/c you no longer feel like you have to drug yourself

4. R.Kelly

R.Kelly OT Supporter

I was on anti-depressants for years (starting from like 2nd grade, up until my senior year of HS). After getting off them, I am 100% more mentally stable. I've also done a lot to change my life (exercising, eating healthy, being more social). I still have them though, for if I am having a bad day.

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

looking back, do you think the drugs were needed at the time?

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I was on for about 8 months before I said fuck it. I couldn't deal with the side effects and like others have said I felt like a zombie. No feelings whatsoever. It was way worse than depression.

I've been off for about 3 years now. I feel great. Diet, excersize, more socializing, and less drama FTW. Psychotherapy was also very important, though I haven't done that in like a year and a half either.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Definetley not. IMO they are only a last resort when you have such massive depression that you cannot function at all. Or if your life is great, but you are still depressed and psycotherapy, better diet, and excersize have not worked.

8. Capital B

Capital B New Member

I'm on Lexapro. I feel like a zombie all the time, and I don't know if it's from the Lexapro or my illness. :ugh:

9. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

no, i think it prolonged me getting over my anxiety, because i was masking it with paxil, instead of getting to the root of it

10. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

For me, yes. After taking Effexor, I was staunch opponent of antidepressants. When I moved back to my parents place in 2005, I was hit hardcore with a two year long struggle with OCD. I obsessed about my particular subject literally every minute of every day. After two years, I had hit my end and didn't know what else to do. My therapist, whom I've been seeing through the entire episode, has a philosophy of "medicate only when absolutely necessary," and we both agreed it was time. I believe Lexapro has played a major role in my overcoming OCD, so now I can't quite be so anti-medication. It is helpful, but it can overstay its welcome.

11. R.Kelly

R.Kelly OT Supporter

fuck no. I honestly think that my shrink was just too lazy to actually help me deal with my own problems.

12. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

no they werent needed, i was just not emotionally mature enough to deal with my life.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Shrinks as in psychiatrist ? In canada usually, psychiatrist prescribe, psychologist deal with talk therapy. It's probably the same in the US.

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yeah, meds usually treat the symptoms, not the problem. But the side effects can be positive in a certain way, it can act as a mean to motivate someone to really change. It would be stupid to use it with that idea in mind, but I'm trying to find something positive in that experience.