MMA People like this annoy me

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by toothpick, Jan 16, 2008.

1. toothpick

toothpick New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3622982

people who just dive in and go for MMA straight of the bat. imho there is far to much to learn even doing one martial art at a time, let alone several at once.

People should start of in one art and be comfortable in striking or grappling for 2 or so years before working into more martial arts, because you are going to end up being terrible at everything.

I admire his enthusiasm but not his sensibility

2. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

GSP > Royce Gracie

/thread

3. The Ghost

The Ghost Pain for Love

What do you expect? There are a lot of "tough guys" out there that wannabe badass.

4. toothpick

toothpick New Member

:ugh: Making a decent thread, don't kill it kthx

5. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I totally agree.

6. toothpick

toothpick New Member

Im not saying learning MMA is a bad thing, but learning it all at once is one hell of a task, and this guy does not seem to know what his talking about or what his getting himself into.

7. Sylva

Sylva New Member

GSP himself will tell you He was a Kyoshikan(SP) Karate Fighter before anything else.

You = Fail.

8. MyLittleAirport

Or they will just have bad technique in all areas.

Chutebox is pretty much a good example of a MMA school. Very well rounded all areas but they have pretty bad technique when it comes to stand up. Rich Franklin is another example who is good all around but doesn't have the technique of Randy in the clinch or the takedown offense of Sherk or the straight technical punches such as Anderson Silva.

9. Sylva

Sylva New Member

To bad we're not talking about Self-Defense.

10. toothpick

toothpick New Member

IMO if people wanna get into MMA thats fantastic, but they should have a base art for at least 2 years before learning other styles.

Lets be honest, im not an MMA fighter, im just a bjjer, however just learning bjj puts all my brain power to pay attention. I cant imagine trying to remember other techniques along with it.

People who don't research this are just plain old stupid.

11. MyLittleAirport

Well, anyone can get into MMA but only the few can be successful. Look at the best fighters in the world right now, in any weight class. Fedor, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Hughes, and so on. They ALL have one thing they're AMAZING at, while in the other aspects, they might be good or great but if they are failing in that area in a fight, they always have that amazing trait of theirs (whatever it maybe, wrestling, jiu jitsu, etc.) to fall back on. I think GSP is one of the rare exceptions, he's quite amazing in all areas, he's really technical in his wrestling, jiu jitsu, kickboxing, and so on. The only little flaw I see is in his boxing but even then, he has other great skills to rely on that can pull him through a fight.

It seems like to me that being amazing in one aspect and being good in the other aspects is better than being just good all around from looking at the successful fighters in the world.

12. Rob H

Rob H New Member

omg :bowrofl:

13. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

let him do whatever the fuck he wants to do...

14. MyLittleAirport

To train in MMA specifically to get into street fights? Sure its his money (or its his mom's money) and his life but jesus christ... but it is his life I guess.

All I can do is laugh.

15. Rob H

Rob H New Member

hell get his ass handed to him and quit i bet

16. toothpick

toothpick New Member

17. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i really doubt that's his goal (his final end all be all goal of winning a street fight)

yeah, he'll get his ass kicked in class just like all of us.

18. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I disagree that you have to start with one art.

Guy at my gym started training 2 years ago in Muay Thai and Submission Wrestling (he doesn't train with the gi). He's athletic and has done sports before (not any martial arts specifically). So far he's 9-0 as an amateur. Some people are athletic enough and focus their training enough to be successful.

19. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I agree that you need to have a base but it can be almost anything physical and athletic including tkd, karate, wrestling, and even basketball.

20. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Well it always helps to get started faster if you've done athletics. Obviously.

21. toothpick

toothpick New Member

Thats good for your friend then. However Most people are not that naturally talented. I know i am not. I tried learning judo and had to give it up cause their was just too much to learn, and i couldn't comprehend it all.

And if your jumping into MMA learning 2 ore usually more martial arts i cant imagine trying to learn all that.

Just from my experience id say jumping into MMA straight away is a bad idea.

22. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

if you can't learn judo and bjj at the same time, you need to check yourself into the nearest mental hospital because you're borderline retarded :ugh::ugh:

it has nothing to do with how much you have to learn... the only thing that worries me about what he's doing is perhaps the volume of the training.

23. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I started training BJJ and Muay Thai at the same time and I am very proficient in both. I'm not trying too be a fighter though so I don't really compare to my above example, but I like to think I learned both just fine at the same time. It's not hard.

Judo and BJJ at the same time would be a little harder I guess because there are alot more positions, technique, and forms, etc... but striking plus grappling starting out should be fine for most people that are somewhat athletic.

24. toothpick

toothpick New Member

Well its difficult for me :fawk:
    Also Judo is not very easy to learn in comparison to bjj, cause in judo you have to put yourself of balance to get the other person of balance, it takes a long time before it feels natural (also insert the shitload of work outside of training i do). But hey, don't let me hold you back Mr. Aoki.

:hsd:

25. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

i honestly dont see the harm.. maybe he doesnt know what he wants to do? maybe this leads him to concentrate on one art.. who cares? get used to it.. the bigger mma gets the more you will see people take classes.. it's like baseball fantasy camp for some people