GUN people from MD. I need some info

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Initial E, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Initial E

Initial E New Member

I might be moving to MD.

Where are some good ranges and who's the best on Class 3 items.

I'll be near Columbia, MD if that matters.

2. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

http://www.selectfire.com/

that's the only range i know other than Gilbert where I belong.

Montgomery county requires you to join a range, but since you'll be in Howard County you can just go to Select Fire which isn't too far away.

3. Initial E

Initial E New Member

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Look at On Target out near Ft. Meade. Its off Rt. 175. They are an indoor range you can join or just pay to shoot without joining. Pretty good range. Its about 15 minutes from Columbia.

You can also look into some of the Izaak Walton League chapters in the area. There are some with some nice ranges. I belong to one in Mt. Airy which would be probably 40 min from columbia, but has a 100 yd outdoor range, two pistol ranges, trap/skeet, airgun and archery ranges.

As for class III, they are fairly limited. I use Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring MD. Just down 95 from Columbia. They arent the cheapest, but they are good guys.

Be prepared in MD that FFL willing to do transfers are VERY hard to come by. Most want you to buy from them and price their transfers accordingly. Class III transfers can run $100 or more and regulated transfers can easily run $75-$100. There are a few little guys willing to do them reasonably, but you have to search for them.

A good place to look is www.mdshooters.com for some of that kind of info.

I hope you're coming for a good job, because this is a pretty crappy state when it comes to this kind of stuff. We're much better than IL, CA, MA, NY and some of the other NE states, but we have no shall issue CCW, wait periods on regulated weapons and 20 round mag limit to buy. You an own higher ones, but cant buy them or have them shipped into the state, you have to get them from somewhere out of state and bring them back.

Its not all bad though, we have no AWB and we can own class III, its just a pain to get things in many ways.

Welcome.

5. Initial E

Initial E New Member

Appreciate it man.

Is it pretty hard to get a CLEO sign off or everyone go the trust route?

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

We have no CLEO signoff in MD. The State Police must sign off for it. You have to go to the police barracks and submit the paperwork. They then take their own sweet time, as much as 3-4 weeks to get the paperwork back to you. THEN you can start your federal paperwork.

Therefore, a trust is a better way to go. You WILL get the signoff because they cannot say no if they dont have a reason, but it will take some time.