GUN People buy land next to range, now upset over noise

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 1, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Firing range has Bubble Wrap maker popping mad
    e-mail print The Record

Monday, December 31, 2007

By GIOVANNA FABIANO
    STAFF WRITER

ELMWOOD PARK -- The maker of Bubble Wrap -- the famously addictive packaging that people love to pop, crackle and stomp on – says the popping of gunshots from a nearby police shooting range is giving its employees a headache.

Sealed Air Corp., maker of the cushioned plastic since 1957, says the noise from gunfire at the police department's firing range is "disruptive and unsettling" to its employees, according to a letter sent to borough officials.

Police Chief Don Ingrasselino says developers should have thought of that before building an office complex a few feet away from a shooting range.

Sealed Air sent the letter to the borough last month, complaining that the sound of gunfire is especially pronounced in work areas and meeting rooms on the north and west sides of the building.

The company, which moved its corporate headquarters from Saddle Brook to Riverfront Boulevard in Elmwood Park last year, asked the mayor and council to consider adjusting officers' training schedules and provide additional sound insulation for the range on nearby Slater Drive.

"This noise has been disruptive and disquieting to many of our employees," Margaret Frontera, public affairs manager for Sealed Air, wrote in the letter. Frontera could not be reached for additional comment Friday.

Ingrasselino has fired back with his own letter, arguing that the police training facility, which includes a firing range, was in that location long before Sealed Air moved in. The chief said noise concerns should have been addressed during the construction phase of the project.

"Police officers have trained at that location for over 55 years without incurring any noise complaints until now," Ingrasselino wrote.

There is no easy solution for the noise problem, Ingrasselino said, citing several concerns:

# The department must follow state mandates that require officers to pass several qualification tests a year, proving their proficiency in shooting handguns, rifles and shotguns.

# If officers were forced to shoot on weekends, the borough would incur thousands of dollars of overtime costs.

# Erecting an indoor shooting range at the current site would cost nearly $1 million, and relocating the training program to Bergen County's facility would cost the borough $250,000 annually.

"Getting 45 officers down to shoot four times a year with rotating schedules is a nightmare as it is, so making them shoot only at certain times is not feasible," Ingrasselino said.

"All of a sudden, there's a development within feet of the range and now there's a problem," Ingrasselino said, adding, "When they were developing that, they should have addressed that."

Ingrasselino said the borough has no plans to make adjustments at the range, and officials have not received any follow-up letters from Sealed Air.

Also known for producing Jiffy bags and Cryovac packaging, Sealed Air is best known for Bubble Wrap, which has inspired dozens of Web sites dedicated to the practice of popping the plastic bubbles on the packaging and creating a loud noise. Sealed Air has even created BubbleWrapFun.com, a site dedicated to amusing uses of Bubble Wrap, including a bubble-popping game.

E-mail: [email protected]

:ugh:

I hate idiots like this, maybe you should of thought of that before you bought it?
    I want to rape people like this with my mosin with bayonet extended.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The same thing happened here with the airport. A whole lot of douchebags bought houses right nearby in the flightpath then threw a fit.

I really hope the PD in this case stands up to them.

3. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

They should have thought of that during the research and planning phase of development. Fucking idiots.

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Grandfather clauses usually protect people in instances like this.

I know on our family farm, yuppies would move out and bitch a fit over tractors and manure smells :greddy2:

5. t1h

t1h Guest

don't people check on their neighbors before buying land anymore?

6. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Same sorta thing happend here in Columbus. There was an ampitheater that had been there, in the middle of no-where, for years. Someone decided to build a housing development right next to it, and then people started bitching about all the noise from the concerts.

So what're they doing? They're moving the ampitheater.

Ugh. Like hell I would. Fuck'em. In fact, I'd probably turn the speakers up.

7. The Dirty One

The Dirty One New Member

I would love to live next to a range.

8. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Same deal happened here in Nashville, except the amphitheater was torn down to make room for the neighborhoods :wtc:

9. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

I love shooting as much as the next guy, but I think loud audible gun shots at all hours of the day would get to be a little much after a while.

10. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Serves the bubblewrap people right. I dont know how many headache's I've gotten from douches constantly popping bubblewrap when they get packages. So for the company to be bothered by the constant popping of gunfire is just, in my opinion, fucking awesome.

11. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

There have been several cases of developments moving in next to ranges, people move in, bitch about the noise, so they sue, then they try the enviromental approach, and a few ranges have collapsed under the cost of the lawsuits.

People are fawkin retarded nowadays. They don't want to admit they didn't think when they got the house/business

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep, range, race track, and drag strip got closed down same way around here.

13. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

they have 2 options, sound proof THEIR building or pay for the indoor range.

14. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

or maybe just throw a steel building over the range.... that would be cheaper than a million

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Buy land next to a range then bitch bc of gunfire? :rofl::rofl:

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If they weren't a commie state they could start hosting MG shoots and really piss the fuckers off. :cool:

17. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Goddamnit, whatever happened to the concept of property!

18. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

dumb fucks

19. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

:rofl:

20. smartypants

smartypants New Member

That's probably the reason that the land was cheap.

21. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

My mom owns a nursing home for the elderly and was looking to expand, she has about 15 acres she can expand on.

well, a few years ago someone built a development next door, the owner told the people that "this all will always remain farm land" (the extra land my mom owned was farmed at the time).

well, when zoning hearings came around, the people from the development came out in droves and bitched "we were told this all was always going to be farmland"

:rofl: suckers

zoning was approved :o

22. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I just lol'd at the thought of a board meeting in a building next to a shooting range.

"So Bill, do you have those numbers from the..... *loudshotgunblast* the numbers from the th... *BOOM* numbers from the third qua- *BAMBAMBAM* oh for fuck's s.. *BOOM*"

:bowrofl:

23. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

muther fuckin' dawt.

I had a range about 3 miles from me. Perfect distance ;)

The range had been there for years and years. A developer bought the land right across the highway and started building houses.

Sound of bullets when they looked at the land ... sound of bullets when the bought the damn land ... sound of bullets when Mr. and Mrs Douchebag come out to look at their little piece of heaven where they are going to build their house. They move in and THEN they get upset about the range across the street.

Since they weren't in any city limits, they couldn't whine about noise ordinances so they did the next best thing. The developers bought the place and shut it down. They have yet to do anything with the land, it's just sitting there... 100yd rifle range, dozen pistol bays, skeet/trap ... pisses me the fuck off every time I drive by.

Any of you Dallas folks, you can thank Philip and Donald Huffines for shutting down Backwoods Traps range up on 380.

Then we lost Collin County Gun Range. The City of McKinney annexed the land around the range, and then started charging the range with noise ordinance violations. They had no choice but to shut their doors.

24. Blip

Blip Active Member

25. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Motherfucking DOT