pentium m

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zaink, Jul 30, 2005.

1. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

what exactly is it... i understand that it saves batter and all that good stuff but does it have wireless internet? my dad is looking at buying a laptop for himself and wnats to make sure that it has wireless internet on it so he doesn't have to deal with all the wiring.

second question is anyone have any good recommendations for which laptop he should buy? its mainly for personal/business and he would prefer a thin laptop under 1500 :x:

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, they are great when making pancakes!

Virtually any laptop can be equiped with WiFi, so processor really doesn't matter there. Just look for it when ordering. P4-M is a good processor. Nice balance of power and battery life. As for brand, I'm sure Jollyogre will be more than happy to lend his opinion on the matter :mamoru:

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Main difference between a pentium m and a centrino laptops, is the centrino's have a intel wireless card. To the point of if you install a intel minipci wireless card onto a pentium m laptop it'll see it in the bios as a centrino.

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I think we are getting our Pentium Ms and our Pentium 4s mixed up here.

The Mobile Pentium 4 - previously known as the Pentium 4 M - is just that, a mobile version of the Pentium 4 with SpeedStep. It eats lots of juice, but it's powerful and relatively cheap. Found in gaming laptops and desktop replacement type laptops, typically.

The Pentium M is completely different CPU design which combines advantages of the Pentium 4 and Pentium III architectures. It's made for very low power, using about 25W under full load, and has per-clock performance comparable to the P3 and Athlon. It also has its own unique socket and chipsets. There is a Celeron M budget variant of the Pentium M.

Centrino is more of a marketing term for Intel and basically represents the whole concept of the Pentium M mobile platform. That includes the processor, chipset, and integrated devices, particularly WiFi. You can just think of Centrino as being the same thing as Pentium M.

Just about every notebook maker has Pentium M models, so pick a good brand and then pick the model that's best suited. The top-shelf choice as always is IBM... either the X-series or T-series, but they are expensive for the speed and features compared to makes like Dell. I've heard good things about HP's business notebooks as well.

5. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

damn my keyboard!! :mamoru:

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Read huntz0rs post three times.

Before we can make a recommendation we need to know exactly what you'll be doing with it. What does personal mean and what does business mean? Will there be any gaming, moderate or otherwise? Any video/image editing? What size screen do you want? Do you want widescreen? Do you want a full size keyboard? I know you want thin, but do you have weight restrictions? How important is battery life? Etc etc.