Pentium D showing half speed after reformat?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sp33d, Oct 10, 2006.

1. sp33d

sp33d New Member

Ok probly a stupid question.

I bought a Dell xps 400, got it yesterday, started it up and played with it for a minute before i reformated it (get rid of dell shit) before i did this in my system properties it said my processor speed was 3.98

I reformated, downloaded all the drivers, updated bios, and all that good stuff.

Now my processor speed is shown as 2.8, now i understand that i have 2-2.8ghz processors but why whould the speed change after a format?

Mostly i just want to make sure that im not getting robbed of processor speed. Every thing checks out fine it reconizes both processors and says they are both working properly.

2nd question im only running @ 24fps on CS:S i have a 1gb of ram and a nvidia 7300, on my other PC with a 6800 its running at 75fps... i have updated everything that i can think of is there somthing im missing?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Well first of all, I'm pretty sure that you're mistaken on it having ever been a 3.98

Other than that, which Pentium D chip do you have?

3. aboroth

aboroth OWNED OT Supporter

Thats about right FPS for a 7300.

4. sp33d

sp33d New Member

I have the 820 with 2mb cache. I'm 100% sure thats what it said for processor speed. That being said I wouldnt doubt that the PC was incorrect. but thats kinda what im trying to find out.

5. sp33d

sp33d New Member

Please explain why that would be when my other PC has about half the specs that my new PC does besides the ram... and the xps has a stronger video card, and my old PC is running at 75fps in CS:S.

Curious...

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Pentium D 820 = 2.8GHz. You got what you paid for.

7. aboroth

aboroth OWNED OT Supporter

6800>7300

8. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

I ditto that, I dunno that other figure what what you saw but you got what you paid for buddy. It is a 2.8. Look into it.

9. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I had this slowdown problem with AMD X2. Apparently Source was having FPS problems with dual core cpus. I did a clean reformat, then installed the latest drivers for my cpu, vid card etc. Then I installed the AMD Dual Core Fix and everything runs even faster. There is a generic Windows XP Dual Core fix, just google "Dual Core Fix" and you should find some articles on it. Other than that, maybe someone could offer a fix.

And I doubt that you have a Pentium D 820 running @ 3.98.

6800 > 7300