pentium 4 extreme edition?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigfodee, Jun 19, 2004.

1. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

our computer was fucked by either virus or lightning, so my dad told the insurance company it was lightning and they're getting us a new one

the comp my dad had built, 1.1 athlon thunderbird, iwill motherboad, 1.5g ram, dual hard drives.... bunch of stuff.

anyway, the ins company sent it to their computer geeks who musta figured this was some built as machine or something cause we're getting this dell

P4 3.2 with hyperthreading Extreme Edition
    winXP pro
    2 gig DDR400 ram
    Intel Pro 1000 ethernet card

blah blah blah. anyway, i went to dell.com to check out a similiar model and saw this

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&kc=6V528&l=en&oc=XPSSO&s=dhs

the extreme edition is a $800 option on a $2000 comp. why?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

the extreme edition has 2mb of L3 cache IIRC, which is more than you get on the other P4 cpu's. Most have 512K, with the new prescott edition chips having 1MB.

3. lordbean

lordbean Guest

plus the P4 EE is basically intel's top of the line right now. Thus the sale value curve gets very steep around it

4. rebel

rebel Manchester United > All

brb. my computer is getting struck by lightning too.

5. lordbean

lordbean Guest

lol, I know what you mean. For a free upgrade from an Athlon 1.1 to a P4EE 3.2, my comp would very easily also get "struck by lightning". hehe

6. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

The P4 Extreme Edition is basically a rebadged Xeon processor. Intel needed something to compete against the 64-bit Athlon processor and didn't have time to make a new one. They rebadged the Xeon and sold it for prices near the Xeon processor. Personally, I think (based on the really limited info you provided) you just got really lucky with the computer techs and are getting a much better system in return then the system lost (comparing the old system at the time it was built and the new system now). The normal P4 is probably more equivalent to the Thunderbird back then.