MIL Pentagon to Propose Bigger Military Death Benefits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Igottabull, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Igottabull

Igottabull Guest

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7493538

:cool: I'm sure this will be met by lots of "It's about time" and "They're just doing this for good publicity". Whatever, just be happy that we're starting to appreciate the sacrifices these men and women are making for this country and helping take care of their families, who cares about the reasons behind it.

2. ballz2wallz

ballz2wallz New Member

we're not starting...we've always appreciated the sacrifices of these men and women

3. Igottabull

Igottabull Guest

Of course we have, that came across wrong. What I meant was we're now truly helping to financially support those families who's primary caregivers were lost fighting for this country. I'm never a fan of government handouts but I make a big exception for this.

4. ballz2wallz

ballz2wallz New Member

:naughty: :p :wavey:

5. thomez

thomez Guest

That's quite the spending increase, but there isn't a more deserving cause, I guess. :big grin:

I've heard numbers of 250k, 500k, and even 1 million. I wonder which is right :confused:

6. Dos Equis4

Dos Equis4 nebraska democrat (oxymoron?)

I have also heard it only applies to active duty in afghanistan and iraq...and some republican and democratic senators want it to include all active duty.

7. thomez

thomez Guest

What I heard was it only included if you died in a combat zone, so that it would exclude training accidents, which is probably a good idea. People could sign up and not pull their parachute to get their family a half million, not a terrible idea...

8. rzklkng

rzklkng "A republic, madam, if you can keep it"

Highest I've seen is $500k.

9. Madwolf

Madwolf New Member

Uhhhh, who the hell is stupid enough to do that? :ugh2:

I somehow don't think that would happen more than once every couple of years.

10. thomez

thomez Guest

Stupid enough? 500k is a lot of money for a lot of people.

Have you ever seen the farmers who lay in front of the combine so their family collects the insurance money?

I'm just saying that someone in their 6th week of boot camp sure as heck doesn't deserve 500k from the govt if they die, and I could see how it could possibly be a problem if they did. That was all.