MMA Pending CSAC approval, 2 of my training partners will be fighting in Strikeforce

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Mejnoon, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Oct 6 in Fresno...:x:

2. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Frank Magallon (2-2 but better than his record suggests) vs Sam Spengler
    Mike Cook (1-0, had his first fight last month) vs Carlton Jones

I live in Central Cali now (Visalia), they (Strikeforce) needed some local guys to round out their card.

Frank is pretty much a striker with a good sprawl and decent defense on the ground. He's fighting a wrestler, don't know much else about the guy.

Mike is a really good wrestler tho he won his first fight by KO (he was beating the hell out of the guy on his feet so he just stayed there). He's fighting a boxer...from what I hear the guy has no ground game at all. If Mike can get him down that should be it.

Like I said before, this is pending athletic comission approval.

3. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Its a done deal, these fights are on. Goin to the weigh-ins today...i'll keep you guys updated and try to post vids if I can after the event...thanks for the kind words:bigthumb:

Oh, and heres a curious aside...Javier Mendez and Bob Cook from AKA are doing the matchmaking for this event...they needed to fax over the CSAC paperwork to get these guys licensed...I was the only one with access to a fax so they sent them to my office. The fax came over with "ZUFFA" on the header:squint:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  4. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Went 1-1, heres the play by play from Sherdog:

Frank Magallon vs. Sam Spengler (Pictures)
    Round 1
    Both fighters exchange light punches and low kicks early in the round. Spengler shoots and notches the takedown and eventually side-control. Spengler transitions to the mount and begins to punish Magallon. Maggalon tries to escape out the back door but Spengler slams it shut and continues his barrage. Referee Jon Shorle stopped the bout at 2:38 of the first round giving Sam Spengler the TKO win.

[Frank took this fight on 1 weeks notice and hadn't been training for the past ~3 months. He gave up 10lbs+ (he weighed in at 175 for a 185 fight and his opponent looked DRY at 185) and was fighting a collegiate wrestler. Franks weakness is wrestling and it showed. He was clearly winning the stand up before it went down, his punches were landing and he hurt him with a couple leg kicks...its just dissapointing he couldn't keep it standing.]

Carlton Jones (Pictures) vs. Mike Cook
    Round 1
    Jones comes out throwing and Cook tries to duck under for the takedown. Cook is rebuffed and the two men trade again. Jones scores a takedown of his own and dishes out some ground and pound. Cook pushes Jones off with his feet and the fight returns to the feet. Jones begins to tee off on a weary cook, scoring at will. Jones once again gets the top position as the fight returned to the mat. After a referee standup due to lack of action, Cook scored a solid double leg takedown and went to work from the top for the first time in the bout. Another referee standup was followed by another series of exchanges on the feet as the round came to a close. Sherdog.com scores the round 10-9 for Jones.

Round 2
    Cook sinks a guillotine as Jones shoots to begin the second frame. The choke did not look particularly dangerous but it took Jones valuable time to mount his escape. The submission attempt took its toll though as Jones was spent after rolling out of the choke. Cook, from top position, began to strike but Jones had had enough and verbally submitted. Mike Cook gets the victory at 2:03 of the second round.

[Mike hasn't been training very long and had his first fight like a month ago. He looked a little sloppy (especially his hands) but he showed a lot of heart, intensity and a good chin. His wrestling is really good, when his hands and his submissions improve he's gonna be very tough. He also had 1 weeks notice for this fight.]

Good show, Strikeforce does it right. It was the first sanctioned event I've been in the locker rooms for, and all the CSAC regulations were a little weird, but not that bad. I had a good time, hopefully Strikeforce will be coming back to Fresno...:bigthumb:

5. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

details?

6. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Well first of all they require cornermen to be licensed...just another way to get $50 out of you. When you get to the lockerrooms they search your bags and throw out anything that looks ingestible besides vaseline. They require fighters to do another brief physical at that point. Then when you wrap your fighters hands you have to do it with a comission official present, and they have very specific guidelines as to where gauze is allowed and where tape is allowed. When you're done the official signs off on each hand, then they put your gloves on and tape over the wrists with colored tape that corresponds to the color of your corner. They are very strict about timing and whatnot...they come and get you when the prior fight is about to start and take you to a green room to wait. They tell you not to do vaseline until he's at the top of the ramp about to make his entrance, then you are not allowed to touch the fighter again before he enters the cage. The fighter goes first, then the comission official, then the corner. Then they have about a million rules regarding who's allowed in the cage/when during stoppages, to handle cuts, etc but those are understandable. After the fight you have to return directly to the locker room where you have to be cleared by the doctor before you get paid/are allowed to go anywhere. Our fights were back to back and the guys that cornered the first one wanted to stay in the green room to watch the 2nd fight and had to pretty much beg to do it. They let them but reluctantly.

Theres more I'm sure but I just don't remember. On the positive side the show ran very smoothly I think partially due to the regulations.