Pelvic/hip weakness

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by grampositivecocci, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

ok I believe I have a either a hip weakness or some form of injury. The whole area of my body is incredibly tight and has always been, guess its part of being tall, it gets very sort after squatting and is difficult to walk.

I've been diong lying leg twists, the best I can describe them as, lying flat on your back, arms 90 degress torso and also flat on ground. Then you wist your legs which are perpendicular to the ground from side to side. This is a very hard exercise for me, I can't really do them properly.

I need to strength this area of my body I believe as well as loosen it up as its affecting my squat.

Any help would be great

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

teh yes no machines

3. grampositivecocci

sadly our club can't afford one currently....any others movements i could od?

4. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Sumo deadlifts, and some band yes nos minis are like 9.00

5. grampositivecocci

got some bands already at the gym, thanks ill use those mofos

6. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

I was getting sharp pains in my hip muscles right at the top of my quads when I squatted no matter how much I warmed up until I started using squat briefs. Now I have zero pain when squatting and I can squat light weight with no problems without the briefs.

7. grampositivecocci

briefs not an option

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

briefs are going to have to be an option, you can get a pair of inzer power pants for like $40 so dont be a fag. Where in your hips does it hurt exactly? The movement your describing are called cobra twists and are on the parisi warmup dvd. I have tight hips as well. If youre really hurting the parisi warmup dvd has about 12 exercises to get the area really warmed up and loose before a workout. Its a pain and is pretty goofy but its well worth it once you start squatting. There are alot of hip flexor stretches that you can find online just type "hip flexor stretches" hey dude.

9. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

dude i think i have the same problem, it hurts most the day after squats and its in my left hip more towards the rear and its obviously in the joint/bone area, not the muscle and its always tolerable until last night it was extremely painful. it hurts the most when i stand and like put my hands on a waist high counter and lift my left leg behind me.

10. joy division

joy division New Member

leg lifts will help your hip...stand with your hand holding something just for balance, lift one leg as higha s you can (keep it straight) in front of you, hold it for a minute- keep trying to lift it higher and higher...do the same thing with the other leg, also do it to the side. Used to do it in kickboxing.

11. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

sexy, thanks.

12. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

spread eagle situps w/ weight

13. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

also, learning to sit back into the squat, rather than just squatting down with your knees in a wide stance, was the best thing that I ever found to work for my hips... they used to fucking kill me until I learned you have to put them back before starting teh knee descent

14. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

work on your hip flexors without weights.. as in core excercises.
    You can use a medicine ball if you like.

There's one we use to do back in college for the hip flexors... kind of hard to describe (we use to do these in track), but stand with one leg up (bent at the knee 90 degree) and one leg down.

kind of looks like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/HipFlexors/CBSingleLegRaise.html but you're not using a cable and when your leg strikes towards the ground your foot barely touches the ground and then you quickly go back to the start position.

there are illustrations here as well- http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486
    I don't see the one for the hip flexors really..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.