GUN Pellet/BB rifle recommendations

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thisgsx, May 9, 2006.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

My budget is ~$200

I need something powerful and accurate. I'll mainly be using it for target practice and a little squirel, wild pigeons, quails, etc. Option to mount a scope or not or comes with a scope mounted already. I dont want anything to do with CO2.

The only bb guns/ pellet guns I've used are the cheap ones from Kmart. I want something with better quality. Thanks.

2. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Flat Black Member

I have a crosman I bought from walmart, I like it a lot. Very accurate, 700 FPS, came with a scope and mounts. It wasn't expensive, as it's a pump action (not break barrel). I hunt rabbits with it regularly, it has no problem putting them down in 1 (well placed) shot.

edit: I found it on crosman's site, that's mine, except mine didn't come with the goggles or targets or etc.

http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1083

3. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

How much did you get it for? I was searching around and read a few reviews. I think Im going to go for the Gamo Hunter 1250 Hurricane. It shoots 1250 fps. :eek4: , Although the only bad point about that gun is that it takes a whopping 58lbs of cocking power. It costs more than what I want to spend, but Im sure it'll last a long time and be worth my money. It's $385, I'll probably add a scope and laser sights for night shooting. Any of you guys have experience with the Gamo 1250?

4. Mr Roboto

I bought it for like $80, it was a good deal. The Gamo rifles are good, but check out the one I found on walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4433514

Crosman guns are pretty highly regarded, despite being sold by wal-mart. This one has a cocking effort of 37 lbs, shoots 1000fps, and comes with a scope. Should be more than enough for targets and small game.

I just can't see spending close to $400 on an air rifle, unless it was a very specialized large-caliber hunting rifle. That's just me, though.

5. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Yes. Thats so true. Im having second thoughts now, after seeing that crossman you posted. I think Im sold on that. :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

6. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i bought a 1,000 fps one online and it kicks ass

7. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

8. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

9. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Do you guys know if pnuematic air guns lasts longer than bolt action? I need to know which has a higher span life that wont lose its power after a few years. My dad has a Benjamin pnuematic and it's lasted him 10+ years with no problems whatsoever. He rarely cleans it to, and it shoots like it was new. Its accurate and powerful as it was day one. I'd like to know if bolt actions are the same. Thanks.

10. Mr Roboto

By bolt-action, do you mean break barrel?

11. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

A good break barrel should last you almost forever. The one I had wore the spring catch so it shot immediately after cocking. That was after I put a few thousand pellets through it. I have no idea how many my uncle shot through it when he had it.
    As I look back now, I know I could of built a new lock for it. Instead I cut it up and threw it in the trash over a few weeks :hs:

Looking at the ones posted here makes me want another. It sucks that I need to go through the same process as buying a real rifle for anything over 500fps though :o

12. itchiban

itchiban New Member

jesus :ugh:

Anyway. I have no expierence with air rifles, but I have a gamo p32 pistol and its been good for the last 3 years.

13. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

My roomate has a crosman quest 1000x. I would reccomend a Gamo, basically the same thing just a little better quality. That thing doops the shit out of squrrils though :cool:

14. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

To many details at once

15. Mr Roboto

I checked out the crosman 1000x and the gamo posted earlier at Big 5 today, both seemed good. The gamo was a bit nicer, but not $250+ nicer. I dunno, I'd get the crosman 1000x, if it were my choice.

16. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

its not a bad gun. the way the stock is finished is shitty. Just make sure you tighten the hell out of the scope mount and rings though. Those spring rifles recoil both ways so the scope comes loose easily

17. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I have taken down a few raccoons, birds, squirrels and a possum with my Gamo Shadow 1000.

18. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

So should I go with a .177 or .22 caliber? Does it really matter?

19. Mr Roboto

.22 usually has fires at lower fps, but it's bigger. Personally, I'm happy with .177, and it's much easier to find pellets in that size. It takes care of small animals just fine.

20. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

You can get .22 pellet guns that fire 1000-1300fps... I would suggest AirForce, although they run about $500 :o www.airforceairguns.com

My Talon SS
    [​IMG]

21. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Damn. That Talon is sweet. To bad its out of my price range. Anyways, Im going for the Gamo Silver Shadow Supreme along with a one piece scope mount to prevent the scope from moving around. A rifle case and Benjamin Diablo pellets. :) I'll probably add a laser sight later. Total comes out to ~$330 with free shipping at pyramidair.com, which is pretty sweet.

22. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

If you plan on taking out some small game check out these pellets, they are fucking great :bigthumb:

www.predatorpellets.com

23. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Only one I ever had was a Daisy Red Rider. :hs:

24. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Just get a 10/22 rifle

25. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Damn. Thats pretty sweet. Have you used them before?