SRS Peer Pressure/kinda v. smoking

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Eat Shit, May 21, 2007.

1. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

Well im 24, Ive never ever smoked weed in my life. Unfortunatly all of my friends have all of my life. I been around it way to much and some how stayed away from any drugs period. In high school I saw to many people screw their lives up going to jail, smoking themselves retarded, etc...

Been hanging out with some new friends that smoke non stop, which kinda gets on my nerves at first. Course they've been trying to talk me into it.
    Lately ive been so stressed out, im an angry person almost in general all the sudden. Im really irratible almost all the time. I just went on effexor for depression about 3 months ago, and i dont feel a whole lot different at all.

Anyways ive been considering smoking. I just dont care anymore, I want something to calm me down. My Dad was a big pot head and my mom left him when i was 2, my stepdad during my teens was a cop, so needless to say I've stayed away from it. But now its becoming really tempting.

About 6 months ago my and my GF split ways because of her smoking, which lead to a lot more problems for me which pisses me off because i could have avoided it if i wasnt so anti agianst it at the time. Im still recovering from what happened between us, she effectivly ruined my life materialy, not emotionally. (got my car repoed, gave away all my shit, lost our house, etc)

I've always done quit a bit of drinking, friends keep telling me im crazy for prefering to drink over smoking. I dunno im not sure anymore, Im scared im going to be super mad at myself if i try it after not doing it all these years. Over the past few weeks, ive found out a lot of people ive always looked up to have been smoking.

Anyone ever been here? I just not sure anymore its worth the effort keeping myself from not trying it. Ive had such a hard time lately, just seems like it will make things easier

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I know a lot of people that smoke too but never got peer pressured into smoking :dunno: I've smoked every now and then, its good I won't lie but its not something I want to get into a habit of. If you have an addictive personality (I don't) you'll get hooked fast and spend a lot of money keeping up the habit and whoever told you weed will make things easier I'd like to hear them explain that theory :ugh:

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I've never had peer pressure from pot smoking friends.

Alcohol, yes (in college). But never from pot. Weed smokers are usually the most chill people ever.

"Hey man, you wanna hit this?"

"Nah, I'm cool."

"Alright."

btw, I generally prefer smoking to drinking now, too. I'm 26 and had never smoked ever until a few months ago.

4. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

Its not really peer pressure, i couldnt come up with a better Title.
    Its just been so tempting being around it lately....

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I lost so many family members due to smoking, i hate it so much. I can still remember how cold the hand of my grandpa was as he went thru chemotheraphy due to lung cancer , i shit you not if i tell you that that is something you wouldn't want even your worst enemy to go thru.

You know your body is a gift, that you need to learn to appreciate , you constantly have to walk in your own body, if its fucked up then you are fucked up along with it. And once you go over the line, then the taboo on smoking gets lost.

Your friends are fucked up and stupid, and their constantly brainwashing you to become just as fucked up and stupid as they are, just so they don't have to look up to you in terms of having a good health.

Anyway grab a big cup of coffee and read this near death experience. http://www.iands.org/ascension.html

6. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Smoking pot alone isn't going to destroy your life. I'd rather smoke pot than drink or smoke cigarettes. I highly doubt your going to form a habit just trying it with your personality and outlook. It's tempting to you because it's something you haven't done before and it's really not as bad Conservative America makes it out to be. So long as you know this is something you should do only occasionally and don't spend foolishly on it, theres not much of an issue.

If you try it, at least you will be with friends for your first time. Most people either get really baked their first time or feel little. Weed treats everyone differently, but if you do it somewhere you are not comfortable, you may feel paranoid because of your perceptions. You'll either decide it's not that bad, or that it's not for you.

The only thing weed makes easier is socializing. :mamoru:

7. The Saggin' Nutz

The Saggin' Nutz New Member

at 24 you should be mature and smart enough to not be affected by peer pressure

8. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

did u read anything past the thread tittle? it honestly has little to nothing to do with peer pressure, its been my own choice for the most part

9. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I'm 23 never smoked pot in my life until alomst 3 weeks ago. I was drunk (I know it's not an excuse and I'm not using it as one) and I had smoked with some buddies and it did nothing for me nor will it ever.

Will I ever smoke it again? Nope. Do I smoke Cigs? Nope.

It did nothing for me. Didn't get me fucked up or anything. It was probably a waste of my time. I could of went to be an hour earlier to be honest with you.

Like was stated before everyone has different feelings after smoking weed.

To be honest I kinda wish I never did it but I can't change the past and I know if the future it's something that I wont be doing.

Hope you can be the bigger person and just say "No" to yourself and not even try it!

10. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Don't do it bro, it's not worth it. When I was younger everyone I was around at school smoked it and I even got involved in it for a short time. Like you said, everyone I know who smoked regularly never really amounted to anything.

Now I thought the same as you, it's everywhere. But you know what? It's not everywhere. It only seems that way because you're probably like I was. I was constantly meeting new people, but the same types of people. When I was younger, say 14-17 I hung out with more of a stoner crowd. It's who I felt most confortable to talk too. Later on when I decided I wanted to divorce myself from that whole scene (which was full of drugs) I started befriending people outside that cliche. Once I was friends with a different type of crowd I noticed that few of them did it, and none of them had to bring up a drug in a conversation at least 5 times like the last crowd.

You can get away from it, you just need a new crowd.

11. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

There is no link between lung cancer and marijuana.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html

As for whether or not you should smoke... Only you really know. Doing it on occaision is not going to turn you into an inept and lazy idiot. Smoking yourself silly to the point of excluding everything else will.

12. Abyss

Abyss New Member

Personally I smoke weed, Just NEVER smoke cigrettes... people now days have been "brainwashed" to accept weed is bad, its bad because it costs money, and because it's illegal, its expensive. in the long run its bad because of costs, and dont smoke at school.

13. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

dont smoke to calm you down, because then you associate it with a "calm down" medicine. do it for entertainmentif you do it. if you can limit/control yourself its not that bad. Just don't do it too often

14. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

So i did it last night, Dont regret it so far, i got a little tooo fucked up, ate a bunch of junkfood and almost got sick. but it was a peaceful drive home for sure.

15. The Saggin' Nutz

The Saggin' Nutz New Member

16. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Just like I would have expected from a pot smoker. When I was younger and in that crowd it was the same thing. Drug users ALWAYS try to justify themselves by saying how weed isn't bad, it's a dumb law, people are brainwashed, etc. It's funny that we're brainwashed when you don't see non-weed smokers trying to justify it everywhere, only the users do. The users are brainwashed. Smoking weed is really pointless and not worth the risks of getting busted, so people who talk about how "cool" it is are just users themselves trying to justify their actions. It's not like it adds any positive in your life worth the risks of being busted.
    Look, if you want to smoke it, then smoke it, but stop the BS already with trying to justify it to everyone. There is nothing about weed that is worthy of trying to tell everyone it's okay to illegally smoke it. Stop the justifying of it. If you want to smoke it, smoke it, if you want to lobby for it, take it to congress. Just don't feed us BS to make yourself feel better about using. If/when it becomes legal, then we'll talk.

17. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Asylum OT, encouraging drug use. Way to go losers.

18. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

You got high and drove? That's as bad or worse than drunk driving. You're a fucking pathetic loser for giving in to peer pressure, you sell-out. Not only did you try it, but you have already made yourself just as bad as all those people you talked about seeing ruin their lives with drugs. Even just one time, you could easily have killed yourself or someone else being fucked up while driving.:slap:

19. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Blazin, you are right.

That also qualifies for DUI and even the first time that happens to you they suspend your license for 30 days, then you are on a limited driving privelage for 60 days, only being able to go to school/work and back. You also have to take a 10 hour class, pay 2k or more in lawyer fees, and get a higher risk car insurance which could raise your monthly bill by 50 bucks or more. All for what? You want to fit in with people like those on here who do it because they think it's "cool"?

20. Takitome

Takitome New Member

Shame. I'm surprised at how popular drugs must be in America, I see everyone talking about it.

So you said yes to marijuana. What's to stop you when your friend offers you something stronger next time?

These people shouldn't be your friends. They are sinking you down to their level.

21. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I was an activist for the legalization of marijuana long before I ever smoked any.

It is entertaining. It's no more pointless than drinking, or whatever else you might do to let off some stress or entertain yourself.

Eh, the results vary with different people. Personally, I can't drive as well while high, so I don't do it. However, my best friend can drive just as well as he can while stone cold sober. It affects different people differently - some people find everything more funny than it should be, some just see things from a different perspective, and some just have their mood altered, and so on. It goes the same with how it effects your reflexes - different people have different reactions.

There's also people who drive "Intoxicated" and are still better off than the average motorists - you don't ever hear about them, though, because they don't get pulled over, because they're driving fine.

He's said himself numerous times in the thread that peer pressure isn't the right word for it.

He grew up hating it, with examples of a few bad people who smoked it, and linked their terrible behavior as being caused by their pot smoking. He's since found out that plenty of regula everyday people smoke, as well as plenty of good people as well. He's had to reevaluate his opinions on it. Part of it is because of his friends. Part of it is because he's coming to term with the fact that both good and bad people smoke marijuana, and they're good and bad for reasons that have nothing to do with their smoking habits.

I'm fairly sure you're trolling, because I found more stoners per capita when I was in London than I've ever seen in the US.

And the "Well if you said yes this time, what's to stop you from saying yes next time?" thing is bull. I said yes to smoking a joint one day. Since then, I've said "No" to offers of heroin, cocaine, meth, etc. And that was that. No more pressure. I got ah "Alright, that's cool", or at most, a "You sure? It's good stuff", and then it's dropped.

22. Takitome

Takitome New Member

I'm not trolling, I haven't lived too long in Britain. I guess I live in a low drug city then. Sure I've seen it, but not often.

It's good you know when to stop. Only a handfull of people I've known that got into this stuff got out of it or didn't have it mess their life up at one point. It's not bullshit really, the kind of friends you hang out with will strongly influence what kind of decisions you make.

23. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Ah, my mistake. Didn't mean to accuse you of it, but was rather suprised when you made a comment about Americans, when I know it's almost, if not as, widespreadly used by our friends across the pond.

The thing is, people that will say yes to cocaine, etc, will say yes to marijuana, because they're already subconciously ready to tackle something even larger. You generally can't stop people once they've decided. But it's mutually exclusive - most meth junkies have probably smoked weed, but most stoners are not meth junkies. Sort of like how someone who'll eat five big macs will likely eat french fries, but not all people who eat french fries will eat five big macs.

24. Takitome

Takitome New Member

I see what you're saying and that's ok, some have a stronger will then others. But I also believe alot of people that could do quite well in other areas can be potencial drug abusers or victims when they become surrounded by it. Everyone has a breaking point, and they will have a harder time saying no each time their friends offer themself.

25. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

We don't know anything about his friends. All that he's said is that they smoke pot. They're a bit overzealous in it - people who smoke it non-stop are usually the same people who would sit around watching TV all day, or playing video games, or whatever to the point of excluding everything else. It's bad to be around anyone who does this - but that has nothing to do with the fact that they smoke pot, but that they don't do anything BUT smoke pot.

He has not said they do any harder drugs, so saying that being around them means they're going to be trying to get him to do some other drug doesn't make much sense. If I'm around some Counter-Strike nuts who play it all day, what reason is there to beleive that they'll try to get me to play World of Warcraft?

He made friends with people who smoke a lot of pot. I'm not saying this is a good thing. People who do anything to the point of exclusion have a problem, no matter what it is. But if you hang around with a bunch of gamers and just sit there talking to them instead of playing, they're going to want you to play. If you're with a bunch of stoners, they're going to want you to get stoned, and so on.

People are screw ups without the help of drugs. It's just screw ups seem to find solace in the drugs quite readily. That doesn't mean that everyone who smokes pot is a screwup.