peeling on my monitor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mc technik, Aug 18, 2003.

1. mc technik

mc technik your purrty...

i was cleaning it the other day with just water and i guess a layer of something started to wear off? what the hell just happened? is there a way to fix it? its a 17inch viewsong tft display and only a sections of the bottom is wearing off

2. MP

MP New Member

i hope you are joking

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm guessing you're talking about the monitor's glass. There's a protective film over the glass that helps with image quality (forgot exactly how it works and what it does - right now I'm thinking its something to do with polarization). Either way, having that peel doesn't mean the monitor won't work, but I'd take a good guess the image quality won't be the same. My understanding is the only way to fix that is to basically replace the monitor - again, assuming its peeling from the face or glass of the monitor... Has that monitor ever been cleaned with Windex, glass cleaner, or any other agent other then water? If so, it may have been doomed at that point.

Astro's 1 dollar monitor cleaner
    - This will NOT repair your peeling, but may help folks safely clean their monitor for a buck.

Take 1 dollar (US currency preferred - see explanation for details).
    Fold in half
    Fold that half in half
    Maybe fold it once more (goal is to have one end of the bill folded a couple times so its rigid)
    Apply rigid end to monitor face and wipe gently (don't wipe like you're sanding the paint or bond-o off a car)
    Shake and/or brush dirt off and repeat if necessary

Why this works:

The dollar (again US currency), is made of long cloth fibers. Because of this, the dollar works very well in picking up and trapping dust and dirt.

Advantages:

Its a dry cleaning - nothing gets wet. No chemicals involved. Its not abrasive (from what I've seen) and shouldn't damage the coating.

Dis-advantages:

If you sneeze on your monitor or get other fluids stuck to the glass, the dollar trick won't get those out (even with some agressive wiping). Recommendation is then to dab a paper towel with a little bit of water (I find several drops of water on the paper towel works well) and gently rub area in question until clean.

Of course, your mileage may vary. And don't be coming after me if this doesn't work, makes it worse, actually causes damage, or you're girlfriend to leaves you.

4. mc technik

mc technik your purrty...

yeah it is commming off the glass. lucky its only on the bottom area. thanks for the replys too bad i cant fix it

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I always clean my monitor with glass cleaner, never had any problems... I don't spray it right on the monitor, just put a bit on a cloth and wipe it down, then dry it right away. Maybe cause my monitor is 5ish years old, perhaps it doesn't have the fancy film.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I believe all monitors have a film/protective coating, regardless when they were made.