pedialyte for sports? errr wtf

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by VideoJunky, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VideoJunky

VideoJunky New Member

http://www.pedialyte.com/ (I think this is what he's talking about)
    My friend just told me we should use this stuff during football practice so we dont dehydrate, saying its alot better than gatorade. I have no clue if this is accurate. Anyone hear of this being used other than with babies.

Also as a food question. We have doubles and tripples sessions starting this monday, we get a 2 hour lunch break basically, sometimes a lil shorter... what should I refill with? It needs to be able to be stored in the locker-room while we're outside and We cant leave the premises.
    I usually had like a big jug of gatorade, a ham (or PBJ) sandwhich or two, and then like some cookies and a fruit cup or 3. (I love my fruit cups, oranges <3). I'm also trying to bulk and I think that have practice for most of the day will cut into my eating sessions which will ultimately make me lose weight. I just got up 10 pounds from being at 160 for like a year.

Kind suggestions are appreciated.

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Gatorade is just fine. No reason to use pedialyte.

Locker room food: Can you take a cooler? How the heck can they make you not leave the premises but not provide you food?

3. VideoJunky

VideoJunky New Member

I know its pretty evil but its probably an insurance issue as well as a control issue, they prolly dont want kids coming back real late all the time.

I think I have a small cooler than can fit like 2-3 six packs. We usually put my stuff in a insulated lunch bag thing and put lots of ice packs in it.

4. teep

teep New Member

Pedialyte just has alot more electrolytes in it and can hydrate you without drinking as much. I've never heard of football players taking it because theres no real point if you can just drink water or gatorade. For wrestlers and fighters that have to cut alot of weight on the other hand, it can be really useful. Back in my wrestling days I used drink it sometimes when I had to cut tons of weight...which was pretty much every week.

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Well sure, pedialyte gives you the electrolytes for fewer calories than gatorade. It's not going to do a "better" job of hydrating you though, it'll just do it without giving you sugar to boot.

For someone who is actively working out in practice like that, gatorade would be a far better choice, especially in light of the eating situation. He'll need electrolytes, fluid AND some energy replacement.

6. teep

teep New Member

If you were responding to me (not sure if you were), I didn't say anything about calories. When you're cutting weight its all about water weight. I was just saying when you feel like death from making weight and you can only have a couple sips of something pedialyte will do a better job. Where weight isn't an issue just plain water or gatorade is a far better choice. Sorry not trying to be a dick or anything, I just wanted to clarify what I said as to not look like an idiot.

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Oh no, and I wasn't trying to be snotty or anything :wavey: I know what you meant, making weight is different from football practice. Sorry, should've been clearer in my response.

8. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Pedialyte is god's gift to me. I always chug a bottle of that stuff the second I get off the scale when weighing in at meets. I feel 110% after that.. well that and a couple of bagels.. and some slim jims.. and jerky..

9. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

It's nature's miracle for preventing hangovers, as it hydrates you, so I am sure it couldn't be a terrible idea for football.

10. teep

teep New Member

Haha pedialyte, bagels, beef jerkey....man does that bring back memories of so many tournaments. Good to see a fellow wrestler on the boards. I knew a guy that used to eat a box of twinkies and a 2 liter of mountain dew after weigh ins. How he wrestled after that I have nooo idea.

11. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

hes talking about powerlifting meet weigh ins

12. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

If you really want to hydrate mix one packet of electrolyte glod with one gallon of gatoraid!! You will NEVER cramp again and if you are making weight, it puts weight back on you fast. Electrolyte Gold is a race horse electrolyte supplement, get it here.....www.jeffersequine.com

13. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

actually... I'm not a wrestler but a powerlifter. Cutting weight for weigh ins definately gave me some respect for my poor friends who had to do it so often in highschool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.