SRS peace corps and americorps

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pew pew pew, Jan 30, 2010.

1. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

what can you tell me?!?!

just graduated college, no great job prospects, into volunteering and community service, no family or any commitments, want to get out of my small town

discuss

2. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

go for it....once i've gotten some experience in nursing i plan on taking a year or two off for doctors without borders....

3. NappyTurk

NappyTurk Banned

Peacecorps: Be prepared to jump through a bunch of hoops. You need volunteer experience, community leadership experience, and a whole bunch more. I found out that wanting to join is not enough, there are a bunch of prerequisites to take care of first. Also, the whole application submission process and gathering of documentation (health check-ups etc.) takes time. So if you are serious about this, I suggest you go to an orientation meeting and get the ball rolling.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=meet

4. spooney

spooney WTF Sony?

My Sister in law just got out of a two year stint in the peace corps about 7 months ago...she was very dissapointed in it and it really hasn't prepared her to do anything else now, she hasn't had one job offer in the 9 months she has been applying.

5. Centipedes? In My Vagina

Centipedes? In My Vagina It's more common than you think

Like others have stated the Peace Corps is a VERY long process. If you have any kind of health issue, even something slight, you will probably not be allowed to go.

And once you get in, things are still up in the air. My GF was supposed to leave in September, but her program and departure date have been changed 3 times now. She leaves for sure in the end of Feb.

6. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

ive been reading theres lots of hoops to jump through :hs: i have lots of leadership/volunteer/service history. if you want to go to a foreign country, live poor and help people they ought to let you. i pay my taxes! :bigthumb:

does it really take months or years to get in? i wanna do it but i don't want the application process to take forever, i could be gettin on with my life in the mean time

7. Centipedes? In My Vagina

Centipedes? In My Vagina It's more common than you think

That is the hardest part. It takes months probably a little more than a year BUT the departure date after your acceptance can be variable, especially in the current economic environment.

8. Kafka

Kafka New Member

do it, it's also a great jump off point to any federal employment

you get preferential consideration on top of the skills/languages you gain from your time abroad.

9. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Peace Corps disqualifies you from a number of state department and defense jobs.

Be very sure it's what you want to do before you jump into it.

10. Kafka

Kafka New Member

which state dept jobs does it disqualify you from besides those few related to intelligence? :ugh:

peace corp disqualifications are only for intelligence related positions because of the controversy that occurred with some volunteers being accused of espionage.

other than that, peace corp preference is applicable to 99% of federal positions.

he'll be fine.

11. kilian

The way it was explained to me by US reps at the UN HQ in Geneva, there are a large number of state department jobs (pretty much anything related to foreign service) that do not accept candidates with past peacecorps/americorps experience due to the bias assumed.

12. notcreative

notcreative New Member

Yeah, the health this is really picky with the Corps. I had a Fusion surgery about a year prior to applying and they wouldn't even consider me.

13. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

seems counterintuitive :dunno:

in other news, i found a local meeting on wednesday so we will see how that goes

14. kilian

It's not counterintuitive at all. Someone who spent the time to travel abroad in the name of peace under the umbrella of an organization like the Peace Corps probably has an inherent interest in peace and a focus on human rights issues.

While this is a positive in any realm, it reveals a bias that person holds. It's not a bad bias, or an uncommon one, but the dedication required shows the conviction that person has on the issue.

The way it was explained to me, there is a concern regarding the ability to represent the interests of the US most effectively when there may be a higher or overarching personal priority or belief.

Serving in a diplomatic fashion is representing the interests and opinions of your country. You don't go there and import your own opinions and priorities. Hiring people who would be more likely to do that isn't a profitable investment for them.