Pdf to Excel question - not simple importing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Strife, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Strife

Strife Active Member

Long story short, one of the IT guys here use to give finance a set of data that came from a large 6k page pdf. He's gone and not surprisingly never left directions on what he did, so now they spring it on me since I'm the "technical" person in finance ~_~.

So this .pdf is basically a ton of data with distribution totals, then zone and vtrn total.

Both of these totals always start the same way and have the same row format

****zone Total: id # charge amount credit amount
    *****vtrn Total: "" "

Is there a way to only specify that these rows are pulled when exporting to excel, or can I import the .pdf somewhere else first.

Also the first page of the .pdf looks like this, does this mean each of these totals are represented by these breaks and I can export to .txt first then import in?:

Table ID: VTH1

VTRN (Page Break)

Zone (Ctrl break)

Dist (Ctrl break)

VND#

EFFD

Thanks

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Looks like someone is going to be doing alot of data entry in the near future.

But seriously, I'm interested in this as well.

3. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

If it's in PDF format, there's probably another source for the data. Try looking for that source, it'll possibly be easier to use.

Or if you must use this, export or cut/paste to txt and then apply a macro to the text in some text editor like ultraedit32 before importing to excel in CSV format.

4. Strife

Strife Active Member

yea there is probably a source but finance doesn't have access to it and it's impossible to get anything from IT here. My last job finance had access to all the databases so it was easy as shit to pull anything through access and mysql. I already have the .txt version of it also so I'll looking into ultraedit32.

5. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

You'll want this

[​IMG]

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's a product called Able2Extract made by Investintech, Inc. It can export PDFs to Word and Excel, and other formats as well I think. I've used it and it works about as close to perfectly as you could hope for. It's about $100, but if it saves you even a day's work on this little project, then it's paid for itself.