PDA > IPod

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CanadianCrazy, Jan 29, 2006.

1. CanadianCrazy

CanadianCrazy New Member

I don't understand why so many people have IPod's. I mean, sure, they're sexy and they play music, but why wouldn't you go for a PDA? They're around the same price these days and you don't get the same storage, but IMO a good scheduler, contact list and e-mail support on the fly is better than just a pretty music player...

2. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

PDA's just aren't as popular anymore. When an average cell phone can do those tasks paying for another gadget with limited storage capacity just doesn't make sense. Plus people underestimate the power of looks, something sleek, shiny, and easy to use just wins.

3. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

I've gone through 20+ PDA's through the years starting with the original Palm Pilot. Nowadays I don't use one at all. My Phone does everything scheduling wise I need and my Cretive Vision:M holds WAAAYY more music than my pda's ever thought about holding. I never used a pda as an mp3 player, I use my Vision:M all the time.

4. McBoingBoing

McBoingBoing New Member

When my laptop had problems and I had to send it in for repairs, I was able to load my entire harddrive onto my iPod and save the information just in case I needed a back up. I was out of town when it happened so I couldnt use target disk mode my with my home comp and burning CD wasnt an option. It worked out perfectly.

5. Thaed

Thaed New Member

For some reason, the iPod is the one insurance policy in life that I will never be bored so long as I have it and it has power. That makes it worth it's weight in gold. Sure, I could get a 1 gig sd card for my Treo 600 and put a movie on it, but I might watch it and then what? I have 60 gig of space on my iPod and tons of podcasts, music and movies. It's almost perfect.

6. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i've had the HP hx4700 since it debuted a year and a half ago... it provides some things a smartphone just couldnt do, i.e. large screen, increased memory and processing power, multiple options for removable media. plus, i dont look like an idiot holding a PDA up to the side of my head to answer a call.

yes, i know there's smaller smartphones available now, but with that comes their own caveats due to their size... and i didn't want to compromise considering my PDA is something i use frequently.

plus, with the addition of pPod software and a 6gb microdrive, it has pretty much supplanted my nano for DMP use... except for when i work out or partake in outdoor activities, where the nano's size and solid state memory make it a better solution.

yes, having an ipod may be one more device for me to carry around, but the size makes it negligible.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Until I obtain 10GB+ of music I won't buy a larger storage device for music. A PDA is what I want because they can play some music, play games, get online, etc. I'm more interested in the other aspects than just music.

However when I do want alot of music, I'll be getting a 20-30GB iAudio device. Anyone really, I love them all. iPod's aren't my cup of tea, jsut brand preference.

8. Casey_the_geek

Casey_the_geek New Member

The iPod is so simple and easy to use. Theres rarely problems, and I've solved them all easily with mine. Theres a TON fo storage, its VERY thin, the screen is VERY GOOD quality and very clear. The clickwheel is easy to use on everything and the games are fun to pass the time. I love mine. Use it almost everyday, plus theres a ton of accesories!