PDA and Pocket PC questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by intendedacceleration, Nov 29, 2003.

1. I'm looking into getting a PDA or pocket PC for my girlfirend's mother for christmas, and don't really know too much about them. She just is starting a business as a realtor so she needs something that will allow her to track clients and whatever else a realtor needs to do. Could I get some recommendations for different models and why they are better than the others? I don't want to spend any more than $400, preferably lower. Thank you!

2. manixc

manixc New Member

look at Palm T2, it's not too expensive (i think), but it's pretty fancy

3. oakie

oakie my ninja.

pocket pc is nice if u use windows at home... a familiar GUI helps in maximizing the potential.

if you are simply a palm whore, or cannot spend more than $150, palm is a great way to go... the GUI is simple to use, but may not be readily familiar.

IMO, i have leaned towards the Pocket PC's for the reasons stated, even tho they are a bit more expensive on the average compared to Palm or Handspring.

4. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

Handspring doesn't really make PDAs anymore but I would also suggest looking into Palm. Can you be more specific about what a realtor would need from a PDA? Keeping track of contacts should be easy with either Palm OS or Pocket PC. You may want to check the December Issue of Maximum PC. They did a comparison between the Palm OS and Pocket PC inthat issue.

5. Yeah since she doesn't really mix well with technology, and since she already uses windows, I'm thinking that the pocketPC is the way to go.

To be honest, I don't really even know what they are cabable of. What would be required to allow wireless web surfing? I know some have 802.11b/g but do any have the ability to surf from anywhere there is cell coverage? She already has a LG digital phone through verizon, is there a way to connect that way? Is there a leader as far as the pocketPC's go? How are the dell ones?

Thanks!

6. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

I think as far as surfing the web from anywhere she would need to get a data cable to tether between the phone and PDA or get a phone with Bluetooth, if you are looking for cell like coverage. Otherwise if you are just looking for something that will work on a wireless network you can get a PDA with wifi capabilities.

7. rzklkng

rzklkng "A republic, madam, if you can keep it"

I personally believe that PALM > Pocket PC. I think that people would base they're distinctions on what they used it for.

If the person already has a good and small laptop, go with the Palm. IMHO, the Palm does the best job with to-do lists, addresses, calendars, etc.

If they don't have a laptop, I'd look at the Pocket PC. It's not a Laptop replacement, but the Word/Excel/Powerpoint features (which can also work on the Palm) are better integrated.

I think the Palm will be easier to learn as well.

8. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

What he said... I think If you are going to use it for a specific task, like to increase productivity in the Real Estate Market, you might want to find another realator or browse some PPC boards to see what equipment and software they use. I definitely think it would be a good idea though. Even if it isn't wirelessly connected 24x7, it's much easier to carry all the info you would carry on a PPC than actually lugging a Laptop around.

JMHO

9. topher

topher New Member

check ur pm

10. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Who? Me? I have no PM's...

11. chairman

chairman Guest

try an iPAQ 2215, Bluetooth, SD, and Compact Flash!

cool unit, lite, awesome.